Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
cranberry15

Any raccoon hunters/trappers?

cranberry15
16 years ago

We live in Racine County, just west of I-94 cooridor (Union Grove).

My sweet corn is just starting to look fab. I've GOT to trap that coon that's been eating the cats' food. I've got a trap, but does anyone have a friend or neighbor who would want the victim?

I forget the legality of this whole thing. I know I can dispatch vermin on my property any time of the year, but not sure about the hunter/trapper coming to do it.

Anyone?

Comments (6)

• tsugajunkie z5 SE WI ♱
    16 years ago

Not sure of the legality of it all, but I believe this is why Native Americans used the squash in the three sisters of squash, beans and corn. The squash under the corn was irritating enough on the paws of raccoons to keep them out of the corn. From my own experience, I think the bean leaves also stuck like velcro to the fur and acted like a second line of defense.

tj

• luvtosharedivs
    16 years ago

Cranberry,
    I don't have any solutions for you, but just wanted to mention how close I am to you. I too live in Racine county, just East of I-94. I go shopping at the "Pig" in Union Grove all the time!

When I was young, still living at home with my parents, they always had dogs, and let them run at night in our fenced yard. That kept the coons out.

Good luck catching that coon!

Julie

• matzo_matzos_net
    12 years ago

Trapping one will not solve your problem, it will only exacerbate it. There is never only one, they are very tight knit social units. You cannot "give away" a raccoon in our state. To relocate them is a death sentence as they do not know where to find food and have to compete with the ones already established in the new location.

Mother Nature doesn't like a void. If you remove one, two others will come to compete for that territory and food source. You can spray cider vinegar around your corn and the coons will not like it. You can place rags soaked in ammonia in the area and they will avoid it.

You don't want to trap as you will only need to continue trapping. You want to resolve your problem. Bring the cat food in at night. You can also use motion activated devices such as bright lights, loud music or a system that causes bursts of water to spray them when the motion sensor activates it.

Please contact me if you have further questions.

Northwoods Wildlife Orphanage

Here is a link that might be useful: Raccoon Rescue

• northerndaylily
    12 years ago

22 shorts.. little noise.. very effective.

'Coon rescue.. you gotta be kidding. Pop.. dig shallow.. cover.. your done.

Don't bother.

• danagr
    12 years ago

I'm just north of Beaver Dam, we use a electric fence, about 10-12" up from the ground, and around the entire sweet corn patch. the coons do not get over the fence, ever.

• northerndaylily
    12 years ago

Sounds like a plan.. the elect fence.

Cost? More cost effective to just buy the ears on the stands... ? I know.. I know... they don't taste like something one grows themselves. Our ears this yr from a very small patch were simply DE---lich--OUS. And the Lady of the House loves eating HER sweetcorn... that SHE grew.. :).

Sponsored
Winks Remodeling & Handyman Services
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Custom Craftsmanship & Construction Solutions in Franklin County