Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
aka_margo

Best Places to Buy Plants & Hostas in WI

aka_margo
17 years ago

I'm in the Fox Cities. I'm always up for checking out new places to buy plants, mainly hostas. I'm sure this has been done before, but what are your favorite places to buy plants in Wisconsin!!

Here are some of my favorites:

Thistledown Greenhouses in Bonduel, WI

They have the best unusual plants. They specialize in succulents and fairy gardens. They are also fairly inexpensive.

Lang Landscaping, Black Creek

Awesome selection of hostas!

Mayflower Gardens in Oneida

Best selection of unusual annuals.

Woodland Gardens in Crivitz, WI

Beautiful garden in the woods and tons of hostas to choose from!

Appleton Farmer's Market - The Great Hosta Adventure

The Great Hosta Adventure sisters sell their hostas at the farmer's market on Saturday mornings. I'm there pretty much every Saturday buying at least one new hosta.

Jung Seed Company in Randdolph, WI

They have the best bare root room. Can't beat $3 hydrangeas.

Northside True Value in Appleton

The lady that runs the garden department knows her stuff and gets the best perennials (and inexpensive). Spring only

Comments (16)

• upnortdareh
    17 years ago

Farmers Market Sat morning's Green Bay, Scenic View in Little Suamico for Hosta's -------Upnortdareh

• aka_margo
    Original Author
    17 years ago

I was just reading about Scenic View....just might have to take a drive up there this week!! How easy is it to find off of 41?

• milwdave
    17 years ago

OOOOOOHHHHHH! The Flower Factory in Oregon...just south of Madison...that place is AWESOME!

Dave
    Milwaukee

• janetpetiole
    17 years ago

Hi Margo!
    I live in the Fox Cities too. I've been to Northside True Value and Langs numerous times. Have you visited Fox Fire gardens in Marshfield yet? It's a "must go" for any hosta lover.
    http://www.foxfiregardens.com

Have you been to Schmalz's in Darboy yet? Last year they had a lot of hosta, but I haven't been there recently so I can't say much about it at this point in the growing season.
    http://www.schmalzlandscaping.com/

There is also House of Hosta in Green Bay but I haven't been there yet.
    (no website that I am aware of, but here is the address)
    http://davesgarden.com/gwd/c/3401

• virginia_w
    17 years ago

I second the Flower Factory in Oregon. Also The Winter Greenhouse, Winter, Wisconsin (30 miles east of Hayward), Foxfire Gardens near Marshfield, and by catalog, Northern Grown Perennials in Ferryville near La Crosse.

• janetpetiole
    17 years ago

To clear up any confusion I may have caused, what some people refer to the House of Hosta is officially Scenic View Landscapes and Gardens.

• aka_margo
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Hi Janetpetiole!!!
    I have been to Schmaltz's this year, and picked up quite a few hostas. They had a sidewalk sale a few weeks back and I picked up Samarui, Great Expectations, and Reversed. I will have to check out the foxfire gardens!!
    Jen

• janetpetiole
    17 years ago

If you go to Foxfire Gardens, bring lots and lots of money.

Also, they don't accept credit cards, which is probably a good thing.

• aka_margo
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Yes, that would be a good thing for me!!! Friday we are driving up to Crivitz for my Mom's b-day. (My parents are up there all week at their trailer.....no air conditioning, yuck!) I already talked the husband into stopping at Scenic View, so we can pick up my Mom some more hostas for her birthday. Which will only mean more hostas for me too!

• wirosarian_z4b_WI
    17 years ago

A really neat garden center in western WI that has a lot of hostas is Funkie Gardens in Prescot, WI. The place is worth stopping even if you are not going to buy anything. The garden center is set up around several very old (pre Civil War ?)houses in an old part of Prescot, about 3-4 blocks off of Hwy. 10. They have numerous landscaped beds planted around the houses to show off what they sell.

Here is a link that might be useful: Funkie Gardens

• janetpetiole
    17 years ago

Jen, your mom is very lucky.

This is starting to be a pretty cool list. I'm thinking about making a map of all these places to put into my journal.

• luluz5
    17 years ago

Thanks for this thread! I'm going to plan a trip to The Flower Factory in Oregon this weekend (I'm in Madison). Of course, maybe it'll be torture considering I'll probably find oodles of things I want and the weather isn't the best for planting!

• aka_margo
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Made my first trip to House of Hosta on Friday. The bad news....my dh gave me 15 minutes to look. So I grabbed the first two hostas that stuck out at me. The good news...now I know how easy it is to find, so I'll be back. Now I really want to go to Foxfire and the Flower Factory too!!

• janetpetiole
    17 years ago

How dare he give you only fifteen minutes! lol

Which ones did you get?

• aka_margo
    Original Author
    17 years ago

I picked up Holly's Velvet Piecrust and Gosan Gold Mist, which intrigued me because of the streaking and speckling on it. Both Hostas were big and so I divided and shared both with my mom. The Gosan actually had three plants in one pot!

• janetpetiole
    17 years ago

Very nice.

I went to Scenic View yesterday and was happy to see they had a lot of minis.

If anyone is interested, their daylilies are on sale, and they have a lot of daylilies!

Sponsored
Davidson Builders
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Franklin County's Full-Scale General Contractor