Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
pondwelr

What I'm loving right now

pondwelr
15 years ago

All the bulbs are done, quite a bit of the spring trees, shrubs and some flowers are done. I have daisies and coneflowers and daylilies blooming. Roses, of course, and annual pelorgoniums. The true geraniums are waiting for a second flush, but clemmies and a gorgeous clear red daylily is outstanding. The Russian Sage is blue, and waving in the wind, roses are so beautiful, and bug free.

Mainly, I'm quite glad about the new huechera and hostas that we planted in my front garden last year. I just love the chartreuse of Guacamole hosta with a deep burgundy of the heuchera Mocha, and a deep purple sedum.

My flower beds are quite small. (All the big beds are planted with shurbs and trees) But, I really love the pleasure of contrasts and foliage that compliments a neighboring plant.

I'm NOT loving the outbreak of thistle that appeared last year. And continues to crop up all over this year.

Oh, yes, I am loving the fact that a whole flock of Cedar Wax Wings arrived in June, and have hung around ever since. They came to eat the Service Berries, and stayed to eat the Mountain Ash. Meantime, they are at one of my upright blue junipers, eating the berries.

My Tomatoes make me smile too. Pretty dumb, but they do.

Pondy

Comments (2)

• janetpetiole
    15 years ago

Nice post, Pondy.

My group 3 clematis are in bloom and stunning, even though they are young. Clematis always make me smile. The coneflowers look fantastic this year and I have a new cross in my garden: I believe it is between White Swan and Ruby Giant. The color is a soft pink, but not dull. It grew up alongside the White Swan, so I have to separate them later in the season. Sundown is in full bloom - I love the color.

Although Amsonia 'Willow Blue Star' has finished blooming, it has seed pods, which I just noticed last night. I know little about this plant and I wasn't sure it was going to do well in my garden, but it really took off this year. The blooms lasted a long time and now the pods - it's a keeper.

The hosta are doing so well, even after moving them in late spring. I took the advice from someone on the hosta forum who said that before replanting, bang the root mass on the ground to loosen the soil somewhat. I am a believer. Of course, all the rain has helped too.

Most of the daylilies are just starting to bloom. I love how daylilies add color to the summer garden. The bright, almost shocking pink asiatic lily is in full glory.

My tomato plants make me smile too as does the rest of my new vegetable and herb garden. I've been trying to grow herbs in pots for years, but never had much luck, especially with basil. The basil plants are huge and the Thai basil is gorgeous. I'm growing peppers for the first time and actually have peppers growing. I'll really be smiling if I get enough of everything to can salsa and spaghetti sauce.

The dwarf and mini evergreens I bought last year survived and are doing well. I'm limited to arbs and junipers because of the neighbors black walnuts, so having interesting varieties like 'Sherwood Frost' and the golds is exciting for me. Although many gardeners don't like junipers, I have Sea Green and think it's beautiful with its arching branches.

• Kat SE Wisconsin z5
    15 years ago

What am I happy with? I'll start off with my purplish colored heucheras. I have 14 different kinds. I just love their different colors in different places of light. My corydalis ochroleuca...just a beautiful plant. I have them in a few different gardens. Blooms from mid April until hard frost. This plant looks so delicate, but it's super hardy and reseeds very well. One of my phlox, Miss Ellie, is just starting to bloom. This one is my favorite. My hostas are all doing well. They all make me smile. My brussel sprouts are really taking off...but my tomatoes and green pepper plants are lagging behind. :( I do have veggies on both, but the plants just haven't been growing as fast as usual. All in all, I do love looking at my gardens. :)

Kat

Sponsored
Manifesto, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Columbus OH Premier Interior Designer 2x Best of Houzz Winner!