Oh, so that's what it looks like!

What a cheery looking flower!

I have to try that next year.

Thanks for sharing your photo!

Julie

• tsugajunkie z5 SE WI ♱
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I have had varying levels of success starting them from seed indoors (this year I had none). However, they will reseed outside by themselves, its just they take their time. No dead-heading needed. The plant just keeps blooming and getting bigger all year. Its become a staple in my garden.

tj

• noinwi
    16 years ago

Duh!! I just realized I finally had something to share!

Malva and Marigolds in cinder blocks.
    {{gwi:278309}}

• luvtosharedivs
    16 years ago

What a lovely combination!
    I never would have thought of cinder blocks - neat idea.

Thanks for sharing!

Julie

• aka_margo
    16 years ago

Cinder block is a neat idea!

Hosta 'Metallica'

Is anyone beginning to wonder if I have anything other than hostas in my yard??

• luvtosharedivs
    16 years ago

Jen,
    If you're a hostaholic, I'm not at all surprised you are posting a lot of them. They all look super healthy too!

I have a lot, and want more, but I need to get the ones that can tolerate lots of sun, since I'm almost out of shady spots. How many do you have anyway?

Julie

• aka_margo
    16 years ago

Julie,
    I'm not sure I want to know the answer to how many I have...ha ha! I know for sure my husband doens't want to know the real number!! Last count I had 225 of them, yikes!! I am running out of room too, but the other day my DH agreed to clear the wood pile and put it somewhere else so I could have a whole new bed.
    Jen

• luvtosharedivs
    16 years ago

Jen,
    Yikes is right! I only have half that amount. My Daylilies number about the same as your Hostas.

Well what do you know, I finally caught up to the "M" photos!

Let's see what I've got....
    Mandevilla. I bought this at a Menard's sale, not realizing it's not hardy in zone 5! So there it sits still in its pot on my porch. Has anyone overwintered one of these indoors?

Let's see more "M" photos, people, please,

Julie

• kimberlyk57
    16 years ago

Here's some Morning glories:

Heavenly Blue (lets hope the right shade shows up on everyone's monitors, these are notorious for not photographing well)

"Blue Star" growing with my son David's tomatoes

"Chocolate" growing in my daughter Abigail's garden. Notice the varigated and unusually shaped leaves. I believe this is one of what they call Japanese morning glories.

Okay, here's something besides morning glories:

Mirabilis "Broken Colors" (4 o'clocks)

And "Moonbeam" coreopsis which looks kind of washed out in this picture but still pretty:

Kimberly

• luvtosharedivs
    16 years ago

What fun looking 4 o'clocks!

Yes, it's hard to capture the delicate yellow of Moonbeam Coreopsis. I seldom saturate my photos for the internet, but have done it with this one.

Nice photos!

Julie

• aka_margo
    16 years ago

I love the 4 o'clocks. Mine don't seem to know how to tell time. They bloom in the morning and usually again later at night.
    Jen

• kimberlyk57
    16 years ago

Aren't the 4 o'clocks neat? I read about this variety in an heirloom seed catalog (Select Seeds, I think) and thought they sounded unusual, then I saw a packet at either Wayne's Daughters or Milaeger's. I had great success with them in one spot for one year, then last year they never took off in my spot but did great at my in-laws to whom I had given the extra seedlings. So I started some from seed again this year and they were growing sooo slowly. I gave some seedlings to my mother-in-law again and the next time we were over at her house I asked where they had planted them to see how they were doing. They were doing okay but then later I noticed something over where they had them planted the previous year. Tons and tons of self-sown seedlings which were way bigger than the ones I had started from seed this year. Lucky I spotted them too because she hadn't recognized them and was planning to pull them out thinking they were weeds! So I took some of hers home with me and put them in a pot. Mine are still puny and meanwhile you can see what happened to the ones she gave me. Gardening can be quite frustrating sometimes. Oh well, I am enjoying the flowers no matter how I achieved them.

Kimberly

• aka_margo
    16 years ago

My 4 o'clocks all came back from last year too.

Monkshood, they are much more blue than the photo shows. I love them for fall color!

• SEWigardnut
    16 years ago

[IMG]http://i114.photobucket.com/albums/n274/clawswife/7ofsept003.jpg[/IMG]
    I planted the first 4 o'clock about 5 years ago and haven't replanted. I really love the color of Kimberlys .

• kimberlyk57
    16 years ago

I couldn't view the last picture posted so I took the liberty of copying the address and reposting it. My apologies if this is frowned upon. I'd resize it if I knew how. I always resize mine directly in Photobucket.

Nice pink 4 o'clocks. I recently read a description of some called "Stars and Stripes" which are listed as "a glorious mix of bicolored and splashed flowers in the colors of yellow, white, rose, red, and blue." These sound great, don't they? It was in a seed catalog for Baker Creek Heirloom Seeds. I can't find a picture of it posted anywhere so I guess the only way I can see if they really have blue in mix is if I order them and plant some. They are only $1.65 a packet so why not?

Kimberly

• luvtosharedivs
    16 years ago

Jen,
    Your Monkshood is lovely. I have a pink variety, and a blue & white bicolor. Couldn't photograph them this year, because of too much wind, or too much rain. They are now finished.

Sewigardnut,
    You have quite a patch of 4 0'clocks there (courtesy of Kimberly)!

When I first learned to post photos in my messages they were very large, like yours. Another member suggested I download Irfanview to resize pictures, without losing picture quality. And it's FREE! You might want to try it.

Julie

Here is a link that might be useful: Irfanview

• SEWigardnut
    16 years ago

Thanks for posting the picture. All you have to do though is copy and paste address into the address bar.(without the IMG part).

Sponsored