Return to the Wisconsin Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Question for shrub experts

Posted by luvtosharedivs 5a WI (My Page) on
Mon, Jul 27, 09 at 18:32

I'm hoping some of you gardeners that have a passion for growing shrubs can help me with info on taking cuttings.

I'd like to know the best time of year to do this, and how a person would root the cuttings - how much to cut off the shrub, softwood, hardwood, soil conditions, etc.

These are some of the shrubs I'd like to take cuttings from:
Highbush Cranberry
Chokecherry
Viburnum
Sweet Mock Orange
Weigela
Ninebark
Yellow Twig Dogwood

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Julie

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Question for shrub experts

I think in general cuttings are best taken in the spring when the plant is strongest, however I have had success with cuttings taken in late summer also. If you wish to transplant in the fall then they shoud be from spring cuttings where as late summer cuttings should be held over winter and planted the following spring.

I have had most success with softwood cuttings and new shoots. I did pull a Mock Orange sucker late April (with a portion of the roots intact) this year from my mothers land and stuck it straight into the ground at my house. It has since been leafing profusely and looks to be in good shape.

I think the general concensus (from my own personal probing) is softwood cuttings about 5" long in the spring in a 50/50 mix of moist (not soggy) peat and perlite as a medium. Cover with a bag to hold moisture in, leave only a few leaves to prevent moisture from escaping via transpiration. Allow fresh air to circulate every few days.

Good Luck!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Wisconsin Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here