Return to the Wisconsin Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Drought - anyone have the inclination...

Posted by jan44 z4b WI (My Page) on
Sat, Jul 14, 12 at 18:49

to mow all the gardens off and wait until next year? We haven't had rain since the end of May. I've been watering everything, but am almost ready to give up!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Drought - anyone have the inclination...

• Posted by woost2 5a Mad City, WI (My Page) on
    Sun, Jul 15, 12 at 11:32

I hear ya.

Between the drought, heat and the over abundant rodents (voles running over my feet, striped ground squirrels by the dozens) it is getting tiresome. I'm a fan of cover crops (buckwheat at this time of year) and will put a few beds in soon. Lost mature broccoli, kale, carrots and half the brussls sprouts to some rodent. Or all. All eaten from the top down. Got the final three BS plants fenced and the kale under row cover. No one is interested in the collards.

So far the toms and peppers are not under attack by the rodents, but I'm sure it's just a matter of time. Those toms have lots of water in them for thirsty critters. I am setting out pans of water in an attempt to deflect them from the tomatoes. In the meantime, it is too hot for fruit to set. *sigh*

o
RE: Drought - anyone have the inclination...

if you give up ,then what will you do ?
your plants are still living and growing ,so dont talk so foolishly fight for your food

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Wisconsin Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here