Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
luvtosharedivs

Which annuals readily reseed for you?

luvtosharedivs
16 years ago

This is a little early (or late) to be asking this question, but I'm starting a new bed, mostly for my daylily seedlings, and would like to fill in with some annuals here and there that reseed easily.

I've had success with Cosmos, Cleome, Morning Glory, and Salvia. Do you all have some more ideas?

Julie

Comments (30)

• aka_margo
    16 years ago

I have also had 4 o'clocks, snow on the mountain (annual, not that perennial weed), siberian wallflower, and marigolds reseed themselves.
    Jen

• tsugajunkie z5 SE WI ♱
    16 years ago

Melampodium (germinates late and blooms around the Fourth of July til frost).

tj

• luvtosharedivs
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks, both!

You've both mentioned some I've never tried - 4 o'clocks, snow on the mt. (I KNOW about the awful perennial), siberian wallflower, and Melampodium - boy, that's one I've never heard of.

I think it's such a nice surprise when flowers pop up in unexpected places!

Julie

• luvtosharedivs
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks for your response, Bob.

I'll never plant morning glory again
    LOL! I know what you mean about the MG! I let it reseed along a chain link fence area where it's in stiff competition with some perennial vines, so it doesn't completely take over! I like the annual coreopsis idea.

Julie

• lee53011
    16 years ago

Calendula, all varieties, datura, and yvonne's salvia. Available in the seed exchange.

Lee

• luvtosharedivs
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks, Lee!
    I'm getting quite a nice list to try out next year!

Julie

• milwdave
    16 years ago

Rudbeckia 'Indiann Summer' will reseed...but there will be variation because it's a hybrid. Also Datura or angel's trumpet will as well IF you let a few pods mature. Annual poppies do well. The California poppies reseeded for me in the past. Larkspur will also. There are more but these are just a few hat I can think of. I have had others but not here at my current house.

Dave
    Franklin

• luvtosharedivs
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Dave,
    Rudbeckia, 'Indian Summer' sounds like a good one to try. I don't care for Poppies. I have one Poppy Perennial, and that's enough for me. Yes, I had Larkspur for a few years, but it got crowded out by something else.

Thanks for your input!

Julie

• tsugajunkie z5 SE WI ♱
    16 years ago

A good threesome are Celosia 'New Look', anise hyssop (Agastache foeniculum) and the Rudbeckia 'Indian Summer' listed above. All will reseed, although the hyssop, like 'Indian Summer' often overwinters.

tj

• luvtosharedivs
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Red, yellow and blue sounds nice together.
    The Rudbeckia, 'Indian Summer' sounds very much like the Rud. 'Goldsturm' that I have in abundance. I have a different hyssop, 'Agastache 'Blue Fortune', but it's not doing well, probably since it's in too much shade.

Didn't know Celosia would reseed. I sure liked the looks of that one when I did a Google search.

Thanks, tj!

Julie

• bud_wi
    16 years ago

Nigela(?) AKA 'Love in the Mist' always reseeds nicely on their own and is easy to pull if you decide you don't want it growing where it is. Chives reseed but chives look better growing in a clump rather than little strands growing all over the place.

"Never again" is Four O'Clocks, Morning Glory, Mallow, Rudbeckia, and some sort of wild Sweetpea I put in once. That is unless you have a big wide sweep of land to fill in for erosion control, but for a city garden "ugh-uh" on these.

• luvtosharedivs
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Bud,

Thanks for another suggestion to add to my ever growing list!

"Never again" is Four O'Clocks, Morning Glory, Mallow, Rudbeckia, and some sort of wild Sweetpea I put in once.
    LOL! My feelings exactly about the Morning Glories! I'm still finding seeds popping up even in my shade garden!

Thanks for your input,

Julie

• justaguy2
    16 years ago

I wish morning glories reseeded as I plant them every year.

I don't know why things are so different for some of you than for me.

I have a strong distaste for dead looking foliage so I do remove the vines after frost, but I am sure many viable seeds still drop.

• luvtosharedivs
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Justaguy,

Yes, that's very unusual that you have to plant MGs every year. I made a very silly mistake one year of putting the spent MG vines on my compost pile. Of course the following season when I used the compost in various areas of my gardens, all the seeds traveled along. It's amazing how many years those seeds last in the soil before they sprout!

Julie

• aka_margo
    16 years ago

Justaguy,
    I don't have morning glories reseed themselves in my garden either. So don't feel bad. What kind do you grow? I grow a lot of Japanese ones and some of the unusual colored ones. So maybe that is why mine don't reseed?
    Jen

• kimberlyk57
    16 years ago

I have snapdragons popping up everywhere this year! The tall kind and the short varieties in every color. As to the morning glory question, it does depend on what variety you plant which must be why Jen (Hi!) doesn't have any reseed. The common purple (Grandpa Ott, I believe) is the one that takes over everywhere. (I only planted it once but that was enough to see it every year since) So don't plant any purple varieties or the mixed colors and you should be safe. Heavenly Blue (which lives up to it's name!) never reseeds for me. I have to start it in peat pots and transplant it into the ground every year. Also, a dusky pink called "Chocolate" which has varigated leaves has never reseeded. Others which I have planted and never seen again (unless restarted) have been: Flying Saucers, Crimson Rambler, Pearly Gates, Shiva, and Picotee Red. I have seen pictures of some of the Japanese ones and they look beautiful. Where do you buy your seeds Jen?

Kimberly

• aka_margo
    16 years ago

I traded on the seed exchange for a lot of my morning glory seeds. I have grown a lot of the ones you mentioned above and never had them reseed.
    Jen

• kimberlyk57
    16 years ago

I'll have to look there. I've never really collected seeds before and I'm not sure if I have any that people would be interested in. Most of my plants are pretty common. Though I do have a beautiful Fireworks clematis that set seed last year and I'm sure it would again this year. And I have a blue clematis (Fugi-musume) that probably does as well though I never thought to look before. That one actually bloomed twice this year for some reason. Maybe it likes the cool days that we had. The second batch of flowers faded pretty quickly compared to the others and that was right after we had some hot weather. Hmm. I'll have to observe it next year to see what happens.

Thanks for mentioning the seed exchange, I'll have to check it out.

Kimberly

• justaguy2
    16 years ago

Justaguy,
    I don't have morning glories reseed themselves in my garden either. So don't feel bad. What kind do you grow?

I really don't recall all the one's I have tried. I have done the Heavenly Blue, of course, but usually grow 2-3 other varieties each year in various colors. Most of the time they have been easy to get varieties, nothing too exotic. This year it's Tie-dye and Scarlet O'Hara.

• malinis
    16 years ago

i have had good luck with asters,sunflower if my rabbits don't get to them first!.
    I agree with bob & many others about morning glory, your garden will be taken hostage by Morning Glory vines.
    Happy Gardening.

• led_zep_rules
    16 years ago

I don't understand about the morning glories, either. I get a FEW volunteers each year, but nothing like the number of volunteer tomatoes and peppers I get! I have the Grandpa Ott type, the lovely purpley-blue with a different throat color. And they are so easy to pull out, don't know what the fuss is about, I love them.

Dill is interesting and reseeds like the dickens, if you consider that worth looking at. I grow a lot of a very wild type of black-eyed susan (rudbeckia) that reseeds well unless you are an overly tidy gardener. Bachelor buttons are a good reseeder I don't think anyone has mentioned yet.

I grow mostly perennial things since I am too lazy to replant all the time. I grow marigolds every year but save seed and plant them myself. I am growing a lot of cosmos this year and hope it will reseed itself. I have a snapdragon that is 3 years old, I swear to you it isn't reseeding, it just doesn't die. It is on the south side of my house by the foundation so perhaps it doesn't get too cold?!?

Marcia

• kimberlyk57
    16 years ago

Marcia,
    Perhaps the morning glories reseeding has to do with the moisture of the soil. I know when I start them from seed, I usually soak the seeds for 12-24 hours. I have on occasion forgotten about them and some rot and others start sprouting and growing in the water. Who knows? The only problem that I have with them reseeding is that they escaped into the vegetable garden and started growing mixed in with the cucumber and beans. I didn't notice until they were pretty tangled and it's such a mess right not. I want to cut them out of there before they set seed because then next year will be even worse. They also came up where I planted some other varieties (Heavenly Blue and Picotee Red(which is pink!) and were smothering them so I couldn't see any of the other colors!

I had a snapdragon that self-seeded under our serviceberry tree last year. It was a tall yellow and bent over during the winter and the tip rooted to the ground. The main part died over the winter but the tip grew up tall and strong and made a large plant (there is a picture of it under "S"). Mine is out in the open in a raised bed in the middle of the yard. Go figure!

Kimberly

• mgmb
    16 years ago

Hi, I've had nicotiana and annual salvia "blue denim" (or something like that) reseed, also some poppy ("angel's choir") - better luck from chance reseeding than with direct seeding on that one. I am hoping my gentian sage from this year reseeds - the blue color is just amazing!

• luvtosharedivs
    Original Author
    16 years ago

mgmb,

Thanks for your input.

Blue color is always welcome in my gardens!

Julie

• goomareesa_hotmail_com
    13 years ago

The common morning glories always come up to the point where I need to pull them. The Japanese mg and several other varieties NEVER reseed themselves unfortunately.

Cleome (lavender and pink) reseed themselves like crazy and are very easy to transplant or pull up if there are too many.

I haven't had any luck up with the reseeding of delphinium or agastache yet. Maybe my DH tries to help me out by throwing Preen in these gardens. I'll ask him and watch out for this.

• heartsease
    13 years ago

Heartsease, of course! Columbine, joe pyeweed, verbena bonariensis, lady's mantle, feverfew, sedums, bleedingheart, violas, poppies, dianthus Siberian Blues, Early Call morning glories, calendula, rudbeckia, larkspur, ageratum, heucheras, oreganos and borage. Not all of these are annuals but thought you might be interested just the same.
    Linda

• Cat
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

How about Nicotiana Alata, they readily re-seed and come in Red, Lime Green bi-color, Antique White, and super jasmine Only the Lonely. They love the sun full sun, and their trumpet flowers attract hummingbirds, plus they smell divine at dusk.

• led_zep_rules
    7 years ago

Not a flower per se but interesting looking, my tomatillo plants ALWAYS reseed themselves. Only planted them once about 10 years ago.

• maj742 (zone 4-5) north-central WI
    7 years ago

Avoid morning glory at all costs☺ I would also avoid anise hyssop (Agastache foeniculum), borage, nicotiana, mallow, maybe dill although I use it. Good annuals are larkspur, poppies, although I also must weed them out. My rudbeckias repeat - annual or perennial I don't know. Tomatoes reseed, but I pull them too.

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting