Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
fahrvergnugen

fall bloomers

fahrvergnugen
17 years ago

My mother and I have adjoining properties and of course, her garden puts me to shame. But the one thing both our garden's lack are fall bloomers. I would really appreciate anyones/everyones help on listing off some fall bloomers for Wisconsin. I live in Sheboygan, which is between Green Bay and Milwaukee.

A big thank you, in advance!

Dana

Comments (5)

• tootswisc
    17 years ago

New England Asters, sedum, a yellow mum that is almost invasive-I just love it!, a very late blooming phlox, obedient plant-an invasive thing that agree is invasive, zinnias-not a perenial but looks great in the fall and you can plant seeds now, and then all my perenial grasses really add to fall beauty. I really enjoy my late blooming things

• sandlady
    17 years ago

Sedum, second blooming iris, and even though the bee balm is done blooming it gets great red foliage.

• lee53011
    17 years ago

Your typical cone flowers and black eyed susan. Lots of different colors and varieties available now. How about that purple cabbage stuff? Heliopsis, meadowsweet, ligularia, joe pye weed, solidago(especially crown of rays!),cardinal flower, bugbane, and anemones are some other late summer to fall blooming perennials. But you shouldn't limit yourself to just perennials!! With the seed exchange on gardenweb you can get just about every seed you can think of for a total of less than 5 or 10 bucks in postage. Try some red castor beans or purple majesty millet. Or any of a hundred other annuals that you cannot buy at Don Caan's or walmart. I lived in Sheboygan for 35 years until last year when I moved to Cascade. Still work in Sheboygan though. I know that it is hard to find any plants that aren't in everybody else's yard. Perennial grasses work great too. All depends on sun, shade etc.

Here is a thumbnail of my smaller back garden bed. Just click on it for a larger picture. The tropical larger one is posted under lasagna bed on this forum.

Â Â

Lee

• madisonkathy
    17 years ago

I went back to my garden journal from last September/October and these were still blooming: assorted roses, morning glories, nasturtiums, black eyed susans, toad lilies (love 'em!), boltonia (nasty, invasive), assorted asters, blue lobelia, hyacinth bean vine, mums, icicle pansies, and ornamental grasses look especially nice, then....and of course an assortment of annuals.

• elvis
    17 years ago

Oh, yes yes yes. Ornamental grasses are wonderful! Also frost-hardy are the sweet peas (late crop, second planting), Clara Curtis mum (I'll have seeds), and all the shrubs with great fall color, i.e., burning bush, barberry, ninebark, sumac, etc.

Sponsored
Industry Leading Interior Designers & Decorators in Franklin County