Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
irma_stpete

Visiting WI in August 2011 - questions!

Irma_StPete
12 years ago

Hello Wisconsin Gardeners!

I am coming to Wisconsin for the first week in August (in & out of Madison). I've been trying to get some idea online what I will find. I live in Florida, where we have a very active Garden Web "Florida" forum year-round. I am amazed that activity on the WI forum ended in May. Can you tell me why? Is it that people are active on more specific forums - but why after that date? It appears to me from the web that August is about as "dead" a month as can be in WI...perhaps it is the hottest so very little is planned? (I'm sorry for the heat wave you are currently having - the weather reports look like those in FL on and off from June thru October - but we have air conditioning everywhere while I assume you do not. I am used to alternating every 15 minutes working in the yard and being inside in the AC.)

I found on the WI GW forum a list of gardens to visit - but it was from 2000. Madison's Olbrich Garden was described as "small" which is not what it seems to be on their website today - which, by the way, lists flowers "in bloom" through June but not beyond. Do not flowers bloom in July in Wisconsin?

1) What should I expect to see blooming in public gardens, on highways and byways, in private gardens? (Of course, I will surely visit a nursery for an overview with labels!)

2) What gardens within a 2-day drive of Madison do you recommend?

3) Also, I'm interested in historic buildings.

4) Thinking of visiting the Lunt's house - is the acreage there also of gardening interest?

5) I am thinking of going to the Dells for a Duck or dinner cruise ride - sounds like a way to cool off while seeing beautiful WI scenery. (Any advice?)

Thanks ever so much for your replies! They will have to be online, as GW still has my defunct work e-address (I'm retired now) and I cannot get their attention to change it.)

Irma in St. Petersburg, Florida

Comments (12)

• Irma_StPete
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I take back my "... activity on the WI forum ended in May". I must have been looking at an older set of postings. Sorry!
    Irma

• tsugajunkie z5 SE WI ♱
    12 years ago

Welcome to Wisconsin. Olbrich is well worth the visit and if you get to the Milwaukee area, Boerner Botanical Gardens would be worth it (as well as the Wisconsin State Fair). Daylilies, rudbeckia, echinacea, and hydrangea come to mind quickly as to what will be blooming.

tj

• dickiefickle
    12 years ago

" but we have air conditioning everywhere while I assume you do not"
    dang we still dont even have electricity, seriously,why would you think we dont have A/C ? lol
    "What gardens within a 2-day drive of Madison do you recommend," driving for 2 days will get you half way across the USA but just go to the Mitchell Park Domes in Milwaukee http://county.milwaukee.gov/MitchellParkConserva10116.htm
    I can recommend "Old World Wisconsin" (historic buildings with actors showing how life in Wi was back in the real old days 1800's)http://oldworldwisconsin.wisconsinhistory.org/Explore/ExploreOverview.aspx
    The Dells boat rides are fun ,also the Wis dells is the waterpark capitol of the world.
    .. The" House On the Rock http://www.thehouseontherock.com/
    check out the sites
    Hope you enjoy your visit

• melrose
    12 years ago

Rotary gardens in Janesville is also very nice. About a 45 minute drive from Madison

In Madison the Allen Centennial garden at UW Madison is small but nice -- you can wonder over to the union on the lake for ice cream!

Here is a link that might be useful: Rotary gardens

• wirosarian_z4b_WI
    12 years ago

May I suggest going to Prairie Du Chien (Villa Louis for a nice historical site). Then go south along Mississippi River to Dubuque, IA (nice public garden there)& then back to Madison---can stop along way at Cornish lead mining museum at Pendarvis & Swiss Hist. Village at New Glarus (good Swiss restaurant & excellent brewery at New Glarus).

• melrose
    12 years ago

The suggestion by the previous post is a very good day trip. The Dubuque Arboretum is very nice. Also, Mineral Point on the way back from Dubuque to Madison is a nice small town with some older buildings converted to artsy type of shops. The southwest part of Wisconsin has alot of nice scenery.

Also, if you are based in Madison and want to go to Wisconsin Dells - hwy 12 through Baraboo is a nice drive alternate rather than the interstate. Just a warning Wisconsin Dells is fun but its the typical commerical tourist place if that's what you are into.

If you are based in Madison every Saturday morning there is a farmer's market on the Square which can be very entertaining. Also, on Wednesday, Aug 3 is the last concert on the Square in Madison which is a free concert at the Captial Square that starts at 7 -- but you should get there plenty early put out a blanket and relax with food and beverage.

Have a great trip!!

P.S. I think the Wisconsin Forum becomes dead in May because we can finally get outside after being cooped up for 6 six months!

Here is a link that might be useful: Dubuque Arboretum

• zaphod42
    12 years ago

I second Olbrich Gardens and the Rotary gardens in Janesville. I just saw the Janesville gardens last year for the first time and was super impressed. The Domes in Milwaukee are okay. I would avoid State Fair. The Madison Farmer's Market is awesome. The Ducks are neat though be forewarned the whole Dells area is crazy tourist-y and very busy in summer. Every Wisconsin resident is required to go to House on the Rock once just to say they did it and then they inevitably ask themselves, "Can I have those hours of my life back?"

Ideas:
    http://www.wrightinwisconsin.org/
    Frank Llyod Wright in Wisconsin

Ten Chimneys Historic House and Museum
    http://www.tenchimneys.org/

Also, a day walking around the lake path in Lake Geneva. You can wander right through the front yards of fancy historic houses and oogle their gardens.

• Irma_StPete
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Fantastic advice, all! Thank you. I'll use them all!

(Dickiefickle, just a stereotype showing my own ignorance. When newscasters talk about heatwaves "up north" they remind us that northerners are not prepared for extensive heat, so can be deadly. We buy that out of sympathy even though they may not be referring to public places and accommodations. I'll let you know if I notice a difference after the trip! LOL!)

• badgergrrl
    12 years ago

Irma, it's okay we also laugh at all you southeners who freak out when you get a flake of snow, or are wearing parkas when it's 50 degrees outside.

But, yes, do go to Olbrich and the Farmer's Market. (I, personally, would avoid the Dells like the plague, but I never wanted to go to Disney either, so ymmv.)

The southwest portion of the state is lovely. (It's called the Driftless Region - the glacier missed that part of the region many, many moons ago.) I would take a drive out towards Blue Mounds, then go to Mineral Point, and then swing up through Spring Green (you can stop by Taliesin) - it's just lovely country.

• Joe1980
    12 years ago

The only thing I can tout is the Horicon Marsh Wildlife Refuge. I live about 1/2 mile from it, so I know plently about it. It is basically a 33,000 acre wetlands, with about 300 species of birds to see, and very nice views. It can be overwhelming due to its size, but there are plenty of maps to guide you. I can tell you this though, every out-of-stater that asks and ends up going to the Horicon Marsh, is VERY happy they did so.

And yes, we have A/C here, plobably more so then people in the south. I dunno about my fellow Wisconsinites, but my air goes on when it hits 75 outside. I am a true northerner, in that I like cooler temperatures. I can agree though that our 5 month winters get old real fast.

Joe

• citrusnut
    12 years ago

Don't miss Cave of the Mounds, just west of Madison. They have nice grounds, too. And in Baraboo, there is the Inernational Crane Foundation and Circus World Museum.

Olbrich Gardens, House on the Rock, farmer's market,and State Fair are a must also.

Enjoy your trip. There's lots to do here.

• Irma_StPete
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Alas, I had to cancel coming to Wisconsin this summer. I will keep all your good advice and hope to come another year. I guess now I should ask if you recommend spring over fall - but I guess it depends if you like flowers (I do) or colored leaves better... so I guess it will be in spring/early summer. Thanks, again, for your help!
    Irma