Return to the Wisconsin Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Plant ID

Posted by semesterke WI (My Page) on
Wed, Aug 1, 12 at 0:45

Trying to find what this plant is. Grows in woods at Point Beach St. Park and along walkway between Manitowoc and Two Rivers. Seems to have orange or red berry's. Anyone have the name?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Plant ID

killer dont eat plant ?

o

Sorry, but you did not answer the question. Still looking for a name. I see this all over and just wonder what it is.

o

It reminds me of gooseberry. Is it a 3/4 ft bush with sort of translucent berries with a pointed thorn-type protrusion at the end? Does the berry turn a lovely purple?

o

This is nothing like gooseberry. The leaves are very different. I have 4 gooseberry plants in my back yard. I love gooseberry's, either green or after they turn black. Right now, mine have turned color and at this time it is a fight between me and the birds. While it is not a TKO, the birds are winning. I get enough for my needs so both the birds and I are happy. Some of the leaves are also turning red around the edges on my GB plants. I also found two GB plants at the State Park, far apart and way in the backwoods, away from the camp sites. Still looking for the name of this plant.

o

It looks like honeysuckle --an invasive species.
Mike

o

Agree - honeysuckle (Lonicera sp.) The paring of berries is typical. These berries are mildly poisonous to humans. Birds will eat them, however. There are native Lonicera sp. in Wisconsin, but this is not one of them. There are a couple (few?) invasive introduced species, L. tatarica being the most common, and that is most like it's identity. It is common in all lonicera spp. to have narrow, pointed winter buds, and to occasionally (or frequently) have more than one bud per leaf axil.

o

Thank you. Got to open up on my thinking. Have honeysuckle viens in my yard, never considered the bush!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Wisconsin Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here