Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gunnysax

Can I overwinter a hardy hibiscus thats in a pot?

gunnysax
17 years ago

It its a new variety 'Pinot Grigio' dinner plate. It bloomed in July, and now has many new buds on it. I would like to leave it in the pot instead of putting it in the ground if its possible. Has anyone here ever left a hibiscus out all winter in a pot? I have a sunny unheated porch off the kitchen. Would that be better than leaving it outside. Its a nice thick plastic pot from Stiens. Thanks to anyone who replys. Judy

Comments (7)

• aka_margo
    17 years ago

I would think the porch would be better than leaving it outside, since someone told me that leaving it in the pot you can drop 2 zones. Hibiscus are very late to come back to begin with, so I don't think leaving it in it's pot is a good idea. My hibiscus bloom from the end of June through almost October sometimes. I just love them!

• milwdave
    17 years ago

I'm assuming this is a hardy hibiscus and not the tropical species (rosa sinensis). I would plant it...save your pots for the tropicals and enjoy them all year in the house.

Dave
    milwaukee

• gunnysax
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Thanks eveyone. I planted it in the ground yesterday. I am so glad I asked for your help. Judy

• Betty Murray
    5 years ago
    Hi I am looking for some advice on my hardy hibiscus aa well. I have shrubs and trees that are potted. I live in CT in zone 6b. is it too late in the season to put them in the ground? I currently have them in the shed. The temp is falling into the 30s at night and we've already had a frost. I'm looking for comprehensive overwintering advice. should I wrap them? how far should i cut them back? do they need light and water? thanks!
  • Yolanda Curry
    3 years ago

Hi, I need advice. I have a hardy Hibiscus tree. I get one every year. Last fall I moved from Mpls. To Ohio. I get this tree every year. The very first year after washing it down to bring inside many years ago the trying to keep the spider mites off was overwhelming. Eventually I throw it out. By this time the leaves are falling anyway. This is the first time my tree has a ton of babies along with many blooms as if was July its November. Seriously beautiful! I read about hardy Hibiscus. (never heard of) I brought her inside this afternoon we are expecting a freeze tonight. This is my first year in Ohio I'm not sure if the mites will take over being inside.

I would like to keep her in the house through the winter. What do you suggest. I'm amazed, I told her she was confused - It's me that confused.

This was in July she look the same except much fuller

• FrozeBudd_z3/4
    3 years ago

Yolanda, I have four hibiscus plants that I bring in and place in the sunny south facing window for the winter. One must keep close watch for spider mites and aphids and I give them a good shower when need be. All are doing well and continuing to grow and produce flowers, I fertilize them otherwise they tend to go yellow and look sickly. I know that some folks have their plants go dormant by keeping in cooler conditions and lower light and reducing the watering as well, though because I have so much sunlight coming into my home, I can keep them growing and happy all winter. Come March or so, I prune stems back to encourage branching and maintain nice busy plants.

Sponsored
Hoppy Design & Build
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Northern VA Award-Winning Deck ,Patio, & Landscape Design Build Firm