Return to the Wisconsin Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Chicken of the Forest

Posted by sprout_wi z4 WI (My Page) on
Sun, Aug 15, 10 at 3:26

Has anyone in western Wisconsin ever seen a large yellow tree fungus called Laetiporus sulfureus, also known as "Chicken of the Forest". Can you tell me where you have seen them growing. Thanks-
-Sprout

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Chicken of the Forest

Hi, sprout:
We have specimens of your tree fungus in our woods NE of Spring Green almost every year and last year there was a large colony on our huge willow tree by the road. We ate lots and froze several pounds, and when the rest became too dried out to use, the deer cleaned it all up during the winter. I call it polyporus sulphureus (from my Orson Miller ID book) but it is obviously the same thing.

o

I have seen in in the Devil's Lake area and in Green Lake County. It is YUMMY!! Sauted in a little butter and added to my salads or wraps. I wish I would find some now :)

o

It's called 'Chicken Mushroom', according to the Audubon Guide, but what do they know?

Laetiporus sulphureus~~

It's blooming right now where I am (Eagle River). It's on Oak--stumps, logs, or on living trees, though it's been my experience that the tree's days are numbered when that happens. AmericanMushrooms.com has good info, including when NOT to eat them.

Bon apetit!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Wisconsin Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here