Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
aka_margo

Anyone in Appleton area need nursery pots?

aka_margo
17 years ago

I kept all my nursery pots, because I plan on having a plant sale next spring. However I have too many. If anyone is in the area and in need of some pots of various sizes email me.

Jen

Comments (13)

• tufameister
    17 years ago

Hi Margo,

I don't need any nursery pots, but am glad to know there is someone else on this forum close to my area. I live in Ripon. Do you have your plant sale at your home, or in connection with some organization?

• janetpetiole
    17 years ago

I think the master gardeners are always looking for pots, at least that was my impression when I went to one of their plants sales a few years ago.

• aka_margo
    Original Author
    17 years ago

I am going to do the plant sale at my house. I usually do it in conjuction with my friend, but decided next year I have enough plants and garden decor to go it alone.

Hi Janet, the master gardeners were my first thought, but they didn't need any. I think I am going to order some hosta liners, so that will use up some of them!
    Jen

• newhostaaddict
    17 years ago

hi jen...
    sent you an email...jill

• zeedman Zone 5 Wisconsin
    17 years ago

Not sure if I can use the pots; what size are they? I live in Oshkosh; it's good to see others here from the Fox Valley area.

• aka_margo
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Hi Jill, Email didn't go through so I will try to email you.

I have various sizes from 5 gallon on down the line.
    Jen

• janetpetiole
    17 years ago

Hey, Jen

Let me know the date of your plant sale, I'd love to meet a fellow gardener in the area, and, of course, buy some plants.

• aka_margo
    Original Author
    17 years ago

It will be sometime in the spring next year. I am guessing it will either be before the Paine sale, or once school lets out depending on how our spring goes next year. This year we have such a warm spring it was wonderful!!

• tufameister
    17 years ago

Jen, I'd also like to know the date of your sale so please keep us posted.

If you don't mind, I have a couple of questions for you about your sale. I've been kicking around the idea of doing something similar but could use some advise from someone experienced.

Do you divide and pot up any of your plants in the fall or only in the spring? If you do in fall, how do you over winter them? I know you can just "plant" the pot and all in the ground, but I really don't have a lot of room to do that. I don't have a greenhouse either. What size pots are your best sellers? Do you price them comparable to nurseries or quite a bit less?

Thanks in advance for your help!

• aka_margo
    Original Author
    17 years ago

In the past I have divided in spring, but I have been thinking of digging in fall. I was thinking I could put them in pots, put them against the house, and then throw lots of leaves over them. Planting them in the ground would work also, but sounds like a lot of work to me!!

In the past the biggest sellers are the standards you don't think anyone would buy....sedums, standard hostas, black eyed susans, coneflowers, etc. The bigger the pot, the better it seems to sell. I usually price everything $4 and under, way under nursery prices. It also helps to have some kind of gardening book with pictures of the plants. That way if someone asks you what it looks like you can show them.

• aka_margo
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Hey Jill,
    Thanks again for stopping by and taking the pots off of my hands....you know how happy you made my husband!!
    Jen

• tufameister
    17 years ago

Jen, thanks so much for answering all my questions. Great idea about having a gardening book with pictures on hand too. Think I just might try a sale next spring.

• newhostaaddict
    17 years ago

hi jen...
    nice to have met you and your hubby....glad i could make him happy....lol...

and nice gardens you have also....will need to come back to see how they are growing...and if you ever get to Forest Junction....please stop in...

and thanks for those pots...happy to take them off your hands...jill

Sponsored
Prime Custom Kitchen & Bath
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars43 Reviews
DC Metro's Award Winning Custom Design, Build, and Remodeling Company