Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mr_mader

What is everyone growing in WI. gardens this year?

mr.mader
16 years ago

Just curious what everyone is growing out there thios year in WI. gardens. This year I'm growing Kiwano Melon, Armeinian Cucumbers, Mexican Gherkin cucumbers, Banana Squash, Butternut squash & Watermelon. + I grow Kolomikta Kiwi's & Grapes.

Comments (5)

• aka_margo
    16 years ago

Don't have much sun in my yard, so only have room for a few veggie plants. So I only plant tomatoes. This year I planted chocolate cherry, great white, black krim, black plum, mortgage lifter, tigerella, and super sweet 100's that reseeded themselves. Last year I tried swan gourds, but they climbed up the telephone pole and wire, not good.

• kimberlyk57
    16 years ago

Tomatoes. Plum, regular (Both of which my father-in-law started too many from seed and gave us the extras. He does that every year. :) ), and cherry (in the kids' gardens they have Super Sweet 100) "Diva" cucumbers. I love them! We pick them when they are still small and there is no need to peel them. They are very thin-skinned. My pole beans (Kentucky something) are only doing so-so. The cucumbers are blocking most of their sun, I think. We had broccoli which just went to seed a few weeks ago. And Sugar Snap Peas held on for a few weeks longer than last year. I pulled them out when they started getting powdery mildew. And a few hot peppers. Cayenne and Jalapeno? (I don't remember what the other is) I should probably start some peas again. Depending on our fall weather, I might get another crop and the kids like to munch on them. Me too!

Kimberly

• Kat SE Wisconsin z5
    16 years ago

I only have a small plot for my veggies. This year I only have tomatoes, carrots and green onions. I bought 2 tomato plants but I've kept 4 that have reseeded from last year's plants. I only have 2 kinds, Celebrity and a yellow cherry one. Hubby loves carrots and I love green onions so I like planting those. I have marigolds around the garden and wave petunias that have reseed for years.

Kat

• noinwi
    16 years ago

Zukes, cukes, peppers(hot and sweet), a few determinate toms in containers, basil, cilantro, marigolds, salvia, petunias, malva. I over did it last year and couldn't keep up with everything so I tried to scale down a bit. Wish I'd planted more tomatoes :D

• lisa_neenah
    16 years ago

I have such a funny yard. Some good southern exposure that still has a hard time w. sun loving plants and a lot of dappled shade too. I enjoy growing perennials and grasses, but with as nice as my neighbors tomatoes got this year I may put in some veggies next year too. When I lived in PA, I had a small vegetable garden (4x8), which I planted based on square food gardening. It was wonderful.

Sponsored
VA's Foremost Professional Roofing & Siding Craftsmen