luvtosharedivs
16 years ago

I have no "O" photos to share here....

Do any of you?

Julie

Comments (10)

• Hosta_Haven
    16 years ago

O K, you've asked for it but all I have are hostas!

Olive Branch
    {{gwi:905590}}

On Stage
    {{gwi:908862}}

Olive Bailey Langdon
    {{gwi:905589}}

Old Glory
    {{gwi:908864}}

Ogon Koba
    {{gwi:908861}}

Char

• luvtosharedivs
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Char,
    Your hostas all look lovely and healthy!
    I have had 'On Stage' for several years and it performs well. Most of my hostas were damaged by a horrific June storm, so they have tears and holes in them, making for poor subjects to photograph, but there's always next year.

I just purchased 'Olive Baily Langdon' this year from Northern Grown Perennials (They send wonderfully huge plants!)

I bet you have a nice variety of Hostas!

Thanks for sharing,

Julie

• aka_margo
    16 years ago

Char, I love Old Glory! I had it in my hand when I was at the Flower Factory this past weekend, but in the end some others won out!
    This was the only 'O' I had to share:
    Hosta 'Orange Marmalade'

• luvtosharedivs
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Jan,

Your 'Orange Marmalade' looks great!

I too have that one, but it's in baby stage right now.
    Haven't seen much orange yet. Have you seen any orange in yours? I've only seen it in pictures.

Thanks for sharing,

Julie

• aka_margo
    16 years ago

No orange in it yet. I actually thought mine was dead, it was the last one to emerge and didn't show up until almost mid-June.

• kimberlyk57
    16 years ago

I found an "O".
    "October Skies" aster

It isn't in bloom yet except for one lone flower but isn't this huge?! I bought this 3 summers ago at Stein's when they had that sale where you can get perennials for $1.11 or some ridiculously low price. I never imagined it would grow so big. It smells great too but if you brush against it, your arms feel slightly itchy. I'll post another picture later when it blooms.

Kimberly

• luvtosharedivs
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Kimberly,
    That Aster should look awesome when it's in full bloom!
    It's hard to tell from the photo how tall it is, but it looks like the bottom stems are fairly well concealed. Some of my Asters have bare stems on the lower half, so I try to plant them behind other medium-height plants, so the bare "legs" don't show.

Julie

• kimberlyk57
    16 years ago

Julie,

Here are some other views of the aster. It's almost 3 feet tall and 5 feet from end to end. It would be taller if the stalks didn't bow over the way they do. I believe that I need to divide it after it blooms this year or next spring because it's looking kind of bare in the middle. I have another aster that is planted on the same fence but a few yards down and it grows stick straight and has those bare "legs" that you mentioned. This aster is supposed to have a "bushier" habit.

I'm almost scared to divide it because it is doing so well where it is and I know that for the next year of so after dividing it may not look as nice. But at least I can share some of it with people if I divide it. If you would be interested, let me know and I'll save you a piece. I'll probably divide it into 4 clumps and I'm not sure I have a spot for more than one other clump. It gets so big!

Kimberly

• luvtosharedivs
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks Kimberly, for the offer.
    Maybe next Spring we could think about some trading of plants.
    I try to put tomato towers around my tall asters so they don't flop in the middle, which usually happens after strong rains, or when the blooms add extra weight.

Julie

• aka_margo
    16 years ago

I usually cut my asters and mums in half around the 4th of July so they don't get so big and floppy. They still bloom, but they don't fall over quite as easy.
    Jen

Sponsored
Art Masonry Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars132 Reviews
Loudon County's Hardscape and Landscape Expert in Outdoor Living