Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
luvtosharedivs

''P'' Photos

luvtosharedivs
16 years ago

I'm going to zip along with the alphabet here, since the blooming season seems to be winding down for some perennials. Or we'll be photographing snow when we get to the S's. (Actually that's not a bad idea, come to think of it - maybe you all can continue sharing and adding those "winter interest" photos to all these threads).

Anyway, on with the show:

Phlox, 'Natasha':

Phlox, 'Laura':

Phlox, 'Hilda':

I let some of the Phlox go to seed, and the offspring often turn out much different than the parent.

Let's see your "P" photos, please!

Julie

Comments (19)

• aka_margo
    16 years ago

Pardancanda aka "Candy Lily"

Woodland Phlox, I moved it in spring so it's blooming now instead.

• luvtosharedivs
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Jen,

"Candy Lily" is a new one to me. Is it a small bloom?

Your woodland Phlox looks very healthy!

I have two kinds of native Phlox growing in our surrounding woods. One kind blooms in Spring - same as your picture, the other is blooming now and is more pink colored, sometimes white.

Thanks for sharing,

Julie

• aka_margo
    16 years ago

Hey Julie,
    Candy Lily are small, pretty much grows like blackberry lilies if you have ever had those.
    Jen

• luvtosharedivs
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Jen,
    The smallest Lily I grow is Martagon Lily, which blooms very early, in the shade of one of my Black Walnut trees. Never grew blackberry lilies - might search for them sometime.

Adding another "P" photo, 'Pink Diamond' Hydrangea:

I know it's not pink, but it will turn pink in fall.

Julie

• kimberlyk57
    16 years ago

Peacock Orchids (Acidenthera bulbs)

• kimberlyk57
    16 years ago

"Palace Purple" Heuchara (Coral Bells)

• kimberlyk57
    16 years ago

Here's a close-up of the Peacock Orchids and I learned how to resize the picture.

• luvtosharedivs
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Beautiful photos, Kimberly!

That's the first time I've seen Peacock Orchids. How tall do they get?

I love Heucheras, and mine are doing very well this year with all the rain we've had.

Thanks for sharing!

Julie

• kimberlyk57
    16 years ago

I have these planted in a large plastic pot and they seem to like it there. It's hard to say what their height would be in the ground. Probably around 4 feet. I believe they are planted about 8 inches deep and the soil level ends a few inches from the top. You can kind of use the grill in this picture for scale. I believe Acidenthera are in the same family as Gladiolous. And for both you would have to lift and store the bulbs. I lifted these with the intent of packing them in vermiculite but instead they were just left sitting on top of plastic container inside my cold room in the basement where the temperature probably gets down to 35-40 degrees. Amazingly, they did just fine.

Julie, I am really started to love coral bells too. Besides the purple, I have a nice light green where the veins really stand out. Do you have any of the kind with the golden/orange leaves yet? They have them up at Home Depot but they were usually $7.99 on sale for $6.99 so I thought I should wait a bit and see if they go any lower. They'll probably be gone by the time I get up there again but you never know.

• kimberlyk57
    16 years ago

This is "Prince Charles" a viticella type clematis

This a new purchase which is still in its pot while I decide on its future home. I've always wanted a viticella type. They are supposed to be hardier than the large-flowered clematis and bloom a bit later in the season.

• luvtosharedivs
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Kimberly,

I have several different Heucheras, all different colors.
    I'll try to take some pics later today, if it doesn't rain.

Your Prince Charles clematis is lovely. I also have that one, and it bloomed a long time. The longest blooming viticella I have is 'Madame Julia Correvon', a reddish bloom. Vit. 'Blue Belle' didn't bloom for me this year, and vit. 'Venosa Violacea' bloomed and intertwined with an orange Honeysuckle vine early this summer.

Julie

• luvtosharedivs
    Original Author
    16 years ago

'Pure Delight' Chrysanthemum blooming awfully early, I'd say. I kept pinching it back, but you can only pinch so much!

Julie

• kimberlyk57
    16 years ago

Very pretty Julie!

• lisa_neenah
    16 years ago

Everyone, thanks so much for sharing your wonderful blooms!!!

• luvtosharedivs
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thank-you, Kimberly.

Lisa, welcome to the Wisconsin forum!

Julie

• kimberlyk57
    16 years ago

Julie,

I thought you might be interested to know that the Peacock orchids are still going strong! I am amazed at how long a bloom time I am getting. Each flower lasts about 2 days and I don't know if it's because I'm deadheading it or not but it just keeps producing more flowers. Here's a picture of the tips of the stalks

The stalks just keeping getting taller and taller as it produces more buds on the ends. I'm surprised that none have broken off yet. I'm definitely going to save the bulbs again this winter!

Kimberly

• kimberlyk57
    16 years ago

Okay, I thought this was "Pee Gee" hydrangea (which I thought was a dwarf variety from the name) but from what I've read that kind will get huge so this is either growing very slowly or I'm mistaken. So I thought it was perhaps "Pee Wee" but that is an oakleaf variety which this is not. It was $5 at an end of the season sale. It only gets direct sun in the morning so maybe that has stunted its growth. If it is going to get as big as some of the pictures I've seen, I need to move it or some of its neighbors! It's a couple of years old. Does anyone out there know how fast hydrangeas reach their full size?

Here's a close-up:

Kimberly

• luvtosharedivs
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I think it depends on soil, light, watering, fertilizing, etc. We have one at the corner of our garage which I neglect most of the time. It was one of the first shrubs we planted when we moved here 8 years ago, and I didn't know much about growing shrubs. All it got was occasional watering, in clay soil, never fertilized, didn't mulch, so it grew slowly, but boy is it hardy! It's a 'Pink Diamond' hydrangea, and about 5' tall and wide. It would grow bigger, but I keep it in check (pruned), so it doesn't overshadow some daylilies I've planted nearby.

Julie

• aka_margo
    16 years ago

Kimberly,
    There is actually a "Pee Wee Pee Gee" hydrangea. Try to say that 10 times fast. Jung's usually has them in their bare root room. So that could be what you have.
    Jen

Sponsored