Return to the Wisconsin Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
A few ?'s about foxglove seeds

Posted by gunnysax Zone 5 ~ SE Wi (My Page) on
Wed, Aug 9, 06 at 10:47

Are they annual, biennial or perennial?
When should I plant them to get blooms in 2007?
What are the light requirements?
Are they toxic?

Thanks to anyone who responds. Judy

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: A few ?'s about foxglove seeds

Judy,
Foxglove (Digitalis) can be grown in full sun or part shade. It likes cool, moist rich soil. Foxglove is a biennial, so it needs a year of growing before it will bloom. I have read if you start seeds indoors in Jan/Feb, You could get blooms late the following summer. (I never had much luck with that.) I would think it is too late to plant them outdoors now, and have them survive the winter. Digitalis seeds need light to germinate so don't cover the seeds. The seeds usually germinate in 14 - 21 days. Although there are some heart medications made from Digitalis, it is considered toxic to humans and pets. Hope that helps you. Good-luck, Scott

o
RE: A few ?'s about foxglove seeds

Hey there neighbor!
I have had much luck with wintersowing Foxgloves- and pretty good luck with sowing indoors in the winter for same summer bloom. Excelsior hybrids and strains from that foxglove are the easiest to get same year bloom from- which is good- because I have found it difficult to get them to over winter here in MPLS in well drained sandy soil- they almost always seem to rot from the top (leaves) down into the root during the freeze thaw period in spring-
Some foxgloves are perennial- in which they will bloom for a few years before dying out- Mertonensis anf lutea are a few that have come again for a couple of years for me- Others from south africa and south america are annual- but have a very different appearance from our more"native" varieties.
All are well worth trying- Enjoy!
Julie

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Wisconsin Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here