Return to the Wisconsin Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
perennial for box?

Posted by noinwi z3-4 (My Page) on
Sat, Aug 5, 06 at 13:46

Can anyone suggest a flowering perennial that would survive the winter in a shallow planter box(about 6"deep x 30"long)? It gets morning shade and afternoon sun. Am I asking too much for these conditions? Thanks for any help.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: perennial for box?

Whenever I leave plants in containers over the winter, I bury them in the garden up to the top of the planter, then cover with about a foot of straw. Sometimes the containers will crack, but the plants survive. You'd be taking a chance to leave it out in the open, because of the freeze/thaw cycle during winter. But a thick layer of straw might work. As far as flowering perennials...there's just so many of them, depending on your favorite color and how tall you like them. Here's a website that has flowering perennials: http://www.ext.nodak.edu/county/cass/horticulture/perennials.htm

o

Thanks for the link, Kim. I figured it would be difficult. My 2 boxes are wooden(formerly ammo boxes) and they are in the open, but next to the apartment building, on a bed of drain rock. I wouldn't be able to pile anything on them, as that would be 'defacing ' the building. I keep trying different annuals and so far petunias and marigolds do best, but I'm getting tired of paying for plants and I don't have much room to start things inside. The morning shade makes it difficult to plant sun lovers and the afternoon sun fries shade lovers. I tried WSing some annuals this year and it didn't go well(dwarf cosmos which are still quite tall and haven't bloomed yet). I thought if I could find the perfect perennial for this situation, I could still stick in an annual here and there if I felt like it, but have something I could otherwise depend on. Thanks again for the feedback.

o

try Sempervivums and some dwarf sedums...as long as the boxes are not held high, but can be covered by the snow in winter they should do fine. But use a VERY well drained soil if you do.

Dave
Milwaukee

o

I do like Sedums...and yes, the soil in the boxes drains very well. Thank you for the suggestion.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Wisconsin Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here