Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
carole_2007

Tomato Wilting :-(

carole_2007
16 years ago

Last year was my first year at growing tomatoes. I chose Roma only because they were small and I was anxious to get a ripe tomato. They were not the best tasting. This year someone said to go with Early Boys or Hardy Girls or something like that so I bought four of the biggest plants I could find and planted them near a fence, thinking they would have support. They were doing great, having produced several ripe, red, and great tasting tomatoes in July. However, one of my tomato plants now has yellow leaves and is wilting and dying. I think this is one of the two major "wilts". The other three still look real good. I also put in one green pepper plant, which produced three green peppers early in July but now has no new fruit and looks just a little wilty. Any advise?

Comments (2)

• justaguy2
    16 years ago

Water? Your tomato may well have a disease, but tomatos in full production use around 2 gallons of water per day.

Peppers and tomatos are both sensitive to humidity and temps. While both like warm soil, neither do all that well with hot air temps. Both are self fertile meaning their flowers pollinate themselves, but too hot or too humid affects the viability of the pollen or causes it to stick to itself instead of falling on the female parts which could explain lack of fruit set on the peppers.

• Bob_Zn5
    16 years ago

For next year, tomatoes benefit from a heavy mulch. Firstly to conserve moisture, secondly to prevent dirt from splashing up on the leaves & causing soil born diseases.
    I sure didn't know they used 2 gal of H2o/ day but I guess I'm not surprised.

Sponsored