Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kimberlyk57

What have you cooked recently from your garden?

kimberlyk57
16 years ago

I'm currently cooking up a batch of spaghetti sauce in the crock pot using tomatoes from my garden. When we had that batch of hot and humid weather a bunch of tomatoes all seemed to become ripe at once. We ate BLTs for a few days but couldn't keep up. The recipe I use calls for 8 cups of diced tomatoes so except for a few plums I used up all the excess.

By the way, does anyone know why they say to peel the tomatoes first? I didn't bother the last time (or this time) and didn't notice any difference. More vitamins, right? And much less hassle. Dicing all those tomatoes, shredding carrots, plus the green pepper, onion and garlic is quite enough work!

Kimberly

Comments (5)

• tsugajunkie z5 SE WI ♱
    16 years ago

"...By the way, does anyone know why they say to peel the tomatoes first?..."

My guess is because commercial tomatoes are bred to have a thicker skin in order to survive transport.

As for what I've cooked lately...Kentucky Blue pole beans and basil put in foil with butter and cooked on the grill.

tj

• pondwelr
    16 years ago

I no longer grow veggies, but buy at our Saturday farmers market. My favorite recipes vary with what is available. but here is the basic: Buy heavy duty foil, rip a piece about 12/18 inches. Lay on a few pats of butter. Then slice up whatever is fresh. Green beans, zucks and patti-pan squash, onions of course, new potatoes. You get the picture. Then add frozen chicken breast which dices easily while frozen. Marjorem, garlic, salt and pepper,
    or spices as you like. Make one serving per foil. Twist and bake at 350 for 45 min. Check halfway thru. I love to add tomatoes and peppers and slices of zesty cheese too.

Sausage, ham, steak, etc all work well too, as long as the pieces are small. Its the veggies that should shine here!
    My grand kids like to fix their own 'twists'. Such an easy supper for the working mom or dad to prepare.
    Pondy

• gardenquest
    16 years ago

I only have a few veggies, but i use them all season long.
    i have been picking and baking/cooking for a few weeks already :)
    But- the past week i have made the following ( adding some store stuff. like onions/seasonings/etc.

Baked Zucchini Casserole
    Choc Zucchini cake
    Zucchini bread ( and again today)
    fresh salsa
    Phyllo dough Pizza
    tomato & zucchini salad

can you tell what i am growing? LOL
    I have green beens also but i just make them as a side dish w/ meals.

• luvtosharedivs
    16 years ago

Wow, Pondy!

Your recipe sounds great, and simple to throw together!

I just added it to my clippings.

Thanks for sharing it with all of us!

Julie

• led_zep_rules
    16 years ago

Tomatoes, tomatoes, and more tomatoes! The Cherokee Purple taste awfully good straight up, ditto to the yellow/red mixed color ones. Supposedly called Mr. Stripey, but not really striped and look just like heirloom ones I have grown previously that were called something else. Have made a lot of tomato salads, some including cucumbers from an acquaintance's garden, some with feta cheese, most with black raspberry vinegar that we flavored outselves. Mmmm!

Hubby has canned 13 quarts of spaghetti sauce so far, all ingredients organic and homegrown except for the salt: tomatoes, onions, garlic, basil, oregano, and rosemary. Have been making lots of pasta and stir fry dishes including our beans, bell peppers, and tomatoes. Have been eating our wax beans for some time, the lettuce and arugula is all gone to seed now. Oh, eggplant, got some great eggplants growing this year and have been breading and frying slices (yum!), also putting it into stir fries.

Have had a good garlic harvest for the first time ever (finally did everything right) and have noticed that really fresh garlic is stronger. I am completely safe from vampires.

We almost never peel tomatoes. There is a big argument in the harvest forum about that, most people think it is so important to peel them before canning but we see no point in wasting our time and energy.

Marcia