Return to the Wisconsin Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
growing Garlic

Posted by peoniesandposies 5 southern wiscon (My Page) on
Mon, Aug 15, 11 at 16:46

My young adult daughters really want me to grown garlic in my garden next year - I live in Southern Wisconsin. I'm not a garlic fan, but am willing to make them happy. Can anyone give me some suggestions as to which are the best varieties to grow here (both for taste and for storage life).

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: growing Garlic

The link should get you off to good start. I grow a hardneck garlic which they say doesn't store as well as softnecks, but they do fine by me. Also, there is an Allium Forum here on Garden Web.

tj

Here is a link that might be useful: Wisconsin Garlic

o

I'm in the Madison area, and have a few different varieties that I have been growing with great success. The above link gives you good cultural advice. If you want to contact me through my page, I can arrange to get you some bulbs for you to try.

Steve

o

I'm a garlic nut. I grow hardneck variates. I've planted garlic for several years. I think I grow Russian red. Every year I get a few big bulbs from the madison market to plant in the fall. But I always save the biggest clove from each head I harvest to plant in the fall,and every year they seem to get bigger and bigger. This year's garlic was the best every. I use compost and also organic fertilizer. I plant in early October and usually mulch with leaves-but last year I forgot to mulch. I do move my bed around. I LOVE MY GARLIC

o

Hi! We grow both hardneck and softneck varieties. True, hardneck may not store as well as the softneck, BUT, the cloves are bigger. And, besides, as far as storing, we freeze the individual, cleaned cloves. And, grab as many cloves we will be cooking with right out of the freezer.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Wisconsin Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here