Return to the Wisconsin Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Swallowtails?

Posted by kim1947 (My Page) on
Tue, Aug 1, 06 at 17:23

I grew a large parsley plant just for swallowtails, not a one came by! Does anybody else have them in their garden? I have plenty of monarchs, and grow milkweed for them, but was sure hoping to see some swallowtails.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Swallowtails?

I had a couple of black swallowtails on the cone flowers.

o

I have a bunch around. I leave a wild stretch along the stream in my back yard, so they probably have some food and host plants in there. I also use no chemicals in my garden which probably helps.

Lee

o

I don't use chemicals either, so that's not why they're not coming around. I found an interesting website, shows I should have them. Next year TONS of parsley!
http://www.wisconsinbutterflies.org/butterflies/counties/

o

I have a couple of them stop by, usually on joe pye weed or coneflowers.

o

My Joe Pye Weed is just starting to bloom, and the white & purple coneflowers have been blooming for a few weeks. ::::still watching for Swallowtails:::::

o

I grow dill for the swallowtails, and not much of that this year, as it was so dry. I always wondered what was stripping my dill, found those caterpillers and looked them up, was the black swallowtail. I don't know about the parsley, haven't tried much of that.

o

At my place, the tiger swallowtails are attracted to the lilacs. Unfortunately, my house was ground zero for the feds to spray Btk for gypsy moth...I sprayed my asclepias immediately with water, and the monarch hatch came out fine, but no more swallowtails (sigh) this season--

o

Somebody else also said dill attracts them, so I'll be growing that next year too.

o

We've seen lots of tiger swallowtails this year, particularly in late spring--they Loved my lilacs!

Here is a link that might be useful: Swallowtail

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Wisconsin Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here