Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
cukesalad

Here a blight, There a blight, Everywhere a blight, blight.

cukesalad
12 years ago

Brown County gardener here. I've been lucky. In 2009 and 2010 when lots of WI gardeners were dealing with late blight, my plants seemed pretty healthy and productive. Well that all changed this year. I have my tomatoes planted in a new raised bed with new organic compost, organic top soil, leaf mold, etc. About a month ago I noticed some of the plants were starting to get yellow leaves with dark spots on them. Now the problem has spread up the plants and the leaves have turned brown and crispy. Luckily the fruit that is on the vines doesn't look like it's been affected at this point. Is this the dreaded late blight? If not, what the heck is it?

Comments (8)

• cukesalad
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Forgot to ask if it looks like septoria leaf spot? I don't have any debris from old tomato plants that could have infected these, and like I mentioned above, this year's plants are in a completely brand new raised bed. I don't think any of my immediate neighbors grow tomatoes but I also don't know exactly how far spores can travel. Any info would be much appreciated!

• tsugajunkie z5 SE WI ♱
    12 years ago

Doesn't appear to have the late stages of septoria leaf spot, maybe it's bacterial spot? Did you start these plants from seed yourself or were they bought?

tj

Here is a link that might be useful: Cornell Tomato Info

• cukesalad
    Original Author
    12 years ago

My dad starts plants from seed every year in his greenhouse. They looked perfectly fine until about a month ago. Thanks for the link!

• franked1
    12 years ago

Cukesalad:Talked to another person last week who had blight-E. Green Bay.I'm 4mi E. of city- no blight yet but have sprayed. Frank

• wirosarian_z4b_WI
    12 years ago

I think what you have is called early blight of tomatoes not late blight. I have found that it is very easy to prevent by doing 2 things. 1-rotate your tomato planting site around your garden so you don't plant in the same place for at least 3 years. The spores are in the soil & when you water or it rains, the water splashes the spores up on the lower leaves & infects them, then it moves up the plant over the summer. 2- the other thing to do is mulch underneath your tomatoes shortly after they are planted. This provides a barrier between the soil & the plant that prevents the spores from splashing up on the lower leaves. The best mulch I've found for this is, bag some grass clippings when you mow your lawn & put down 2-3" grass mulch under your tomatoes. Best part , no chemicals. PS--make sure that you aren't using grass clippings that have treated with an herbicide.

• cukesalad
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks for the input wirosarian. It is a new raised bed so it wasn't caused by contaminated soil. It's not super easy for me to collect grass clippings because I use an electric mower, mow my lawn high, and leave the clippings to help the lawn. I'd get some from my neighbors but unfortunately they all spray their lawns. :/ I tried using "clean garden straw" for a couple of years but it was always full of thistle seed. I too wondered if it was early blight since I've had it for awhile and read somewhere that early blight doesn't affect the fruit or stem, just the foliage. Anyway, I'm still getting lots of ripe tomatoes so I can't complain too much! I think I will put down some red plastic sheets under the plants next year because I purchased a bunch a few years ago and never bothered to use it. Thanks again everyone for the input! Enjoy your harvests. I know I sure am!

• BigDan1
    12 years ago

My Tomato plants look the same down here in Milwaukee!
    In fact my Hot peppers and just about everything except my squash and wildflowers have it! See picture of hot pepper below.

Here is a link that might be useful:

• woost2
    12 years ago

I had the same last year on tomatoes planted in hay bales. Sitting near my house in an area where there had never been tomatoes ... ever. I'm not sure what blight/spot it was but I was surprised. It did not inhibit fruit production at all. This year, 'matoes in hay bales in the same spot are nearly pristine ... in October! Go figure.