Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
luluz5

When do you plant your bulbs?

luluz5
17 years ago

I'm new to spring-flowering bulbs here in Wisconsin. When do you put your's in? Labor Day weekend? We live in Madison ....

Thanks!

Comments (5)

• gunnysax
    17 years ago

I live in Kenosha, and I plant mine the middle of October. I found some on sale at Wal-Mart last year on December 1st. 'dirt cheap' and took a chance and planted them. They were mixed daffodils, and they bloomed just beautiful. Try to get them in before the ground freezes so they can get watered and sprout some roots before the ground is frozen. Some bone meal in the hole you put them in also helps. There is also a bulb forum here on gardenweb you might want to look at. Good luck. Judy

• newhostaaddict
    17 years ago

well....i never buy any bulbs until they are at least 50% off the original price....

then i might go for some of the harder to get ones like the giant alliums...

but usually wait for the common ones to be 90% off....that usually puts planting into late october-early november here...and all have done well overwintering here...

jill

• elvis
    17 years ago

I put my bulbs in (with bone meal) in late October or so, when there is a definite nip in the daytime air. Water them in well, and they will develop nice healthy roots then go nighty-night...

It's also fun to plant some in pots, let them get good and cold outside, then bring them in for winter bloom. So cheery!

• led_zep_rules
    17 years ago

I plant them whenever I have time and get around to it! More often very late as opposed to a little late. I recall 1991, having our families over for Thanksgiving dinner and to see our new house. Guess who was in the house cleaning and baking ahead of time, and who was out in the yard frantically planting hundreds of bulbs before the ground froze? I am sure you can guess that I was out in the yard planting despite all the company coming over. I even had to take a day or two off work to get all the bulbs in the ground. I had the pleasure/misfortune to be told about what a great deal it is to order from a wholesale catalog . . . Hundreds of daffodils, hundreds of crocuses, tulips, scilla, chiondoxa, lilies, you name it.

Last fall I didn't get all the daffodils planted, so I planted some of them at the beginning of March. They bloomed just fine. I only bought them because they were $6 for 50 daffodils at Menards very late in the year, hubby foolishly pointed them out to me. Fortunately I had kept the bulbs in the basement so they worked out, they just bloomed later than the rest is all.

Marcia

• elvis
    17 years ago

LOL, Marcia! 'hubby foolishly pointed them out to me' Gotta love that!

Con.

Sponsored
EA Home Design
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars69 Reviews
Loudoun County's Trusted Kitchen & Bath Designers | Best of Houzz