Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kimberlyk57

Heuchara 'Amber Waves'

kimberlyk57
16 years ago

Does anyone grow this in this area? I'm thinking of buying it and wondered if it is as hardy as the other ones I have since it's a fairly new introduction. (New to me at least!)They are selling it at Home Depot right now.

There are some nice pictures of it at davesgarden.com if anyone wants to see it. I had no idea there were that many varieties of coral bells. I think I'm in love. And I found out the name of my green variety with the veins. "Green Spice"!

While I'm on the subject, do coral bells ever need dividing? I've only had mine for a couple of years but they don't seem to have grown a whole lot. Are they slow growers to begin with? If I wanted to share one with a friend, should I try taking a cutting instead?

Thanks!

Kimberly

Comments (14)

• luvtosharedivs
    16 years ago

Kimberly,

I grew 'Amber Waves' a few years ago (three) plants. Lost two the first winter, lost the last one a couple years later. I think if you water it well the first year, it may take hold.

Some Heucheras grow faster than others. I have one called 'Checkers' that is huge, and I've divided it twice already. It has very tall and abundant spikes of white flowers that bloom longer than any other Heuchera I have. It also reblooms later in the season.

I have divided other H's too, in early Spring. Not sure I would want to divide in Fall.

Julie

• aka_margo
    16 years ago

Kimberly,
    I have also planted two 'Amber Waves' and lost both of them. They don't seem to be as hardy as some of the others. In fact that one and 'Obsidian' are the only ones I have ever had die off. I have had 'Green Spice' for 4 years, and it's very fast grower. Others that are really good growers for me are: Marmalade, Monet, Chocolate Ruffles, Cappuchino, Dale's Strain, and Plum Pudding.

Huecheras do need to be divided. It doesn't need to be done very often, but when they get too big they get really woody and parts will die off. I divide mine in early spring like Julie. I dig mine up and seperate them by hand.
    Jen

• kimberlyk57
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks for the advice guys! So if I do decide to try this variety I'll be sure to only buy one and put it in a sheltered and warm location and make sure it gets enough moisture. Are there any other light-colored varieties that you have grown successfully?

My hecheras (2 "Palace Purple" and 1 "Green Spice" aren't very big yet so I'll hold off on dividing for now. Have either of you ever tried taking a cutting? Any success?

Thanks again.

Kimberly

• luvtosharedivs
    16 years ago

Kimberly,

I've never tried taking a cutting of Heuchera, and I don't know if you can, since all the stems seem to come right from the crown. I think dividing is best.

If you come across the Heuchera, 'Orange Man', it may be touch & go. I lost it over winter.

Here are some you might like to try:

H. 'Dolce Creme Brulee' - changes colors during the season:

H. 'Key Lime Pie' - very yellow-green when it emerges in Spring:

H. 'Monet' - pretty, but a slow grower, stays small:

H. 'Sparkling Burgundy' - one of my favorites:

A Heucherella (cross between a Heuchera and Tiarella)'Sunspot':

Julie

• kimberlyk57
    Original Author
    16 years ago

H. 'Dolce Creme Brulee' is beautiful! I'll definitely look for that one. The others are pretty too. I can see why 'Sparkling Burgundy' is a favorite of yours.

Kimberly

• Kat SE Wisconsin z5
    16 years ago

Julie, does your 'Sparkling Burgundy' look like that now? This is the 2nd summer for mine. It looked like that in Spring, but now it's much duller. Actually it's the only heuchera that I've been a little disappointed in. I have several other kinds that have more green in them now with the heat, but I knew they were the kind that changed colors thru out the seasons. I really thought 'Sparkling Burgundy' would have held more of its color though. Mine gets sun from about 8am to 1:30 or so.

Kat

• luvtosharedivs
    16 years ago

Kat,

My Heuchera, 'Sparkling Burgundy' is in constant dappled shade. Usually by August it's rather dull looking, but this year with the plentiful rainfall we've had, it's been putting out new growth, and the leaves are still very colorful, although some are more green than burgundy.

Here's how it looks now:

Julie

• pondwelr
    16 years ago

all your huecheras are so beautiful Julie. It looks like you have a woodland or wooded area garden. Is that a pulmonaria I see in one of the photos? I saw that Jungs catalog had hosta 'Stained Glass', which was the 2006 pick. Have you seen it growing, and is it as lovely as it looks? I am looking to plant under a south facing river birch that gets quite a bit of morning sun. Should I wait until Spring? Pondy

• luvtosharedivs
    16 years ago

Thank-you, Pondy,

Most of the plants you see above are in a shade garden at the North edge of a wooded area, so they never get direct sun, just filtered light through the canopy of trees. Yes, that's a Pulmonaria longifolia ssp. Cevennensis (what a name!) in the photo with H. 'Sunspot'.

I have Hosta, 'Stained Glass'. It's still quite young, only been in the ground a year, and I think it takes two-three years before Hostas reach maturity where they show their true colors. I just browsed Jung's website, and it appears they're out of most of their Hostas at this time.

But I see that Northern Grown Perennials in Ferryville, WI sells Stained Glass for $10. I don't know if it's available, so I'm attaching a link to their home page. Their e-mail address is at the bottom of that page. You could e-mail them to see if they have it, and if they can ship it to you in August. That would be plenty of time for it to settle in before the ground freezes. If they're out of it, there's always next Spring. I've ordered Hostas and Daylilies from them before, and they send monster sized plants!

Julie

Here is a link that might be useful: Northern Grown Perennials

• kimberlyk57
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Julie,
    I was up in your area today. I took the kids to North Park up near the antique shops and we had a picnic lunch. They were bouncing off the walls the day before and I decided they needed to strech their legs a bit. North Beach Park has been too crowded lately (some daycares and summer programs bring buses or vans full sometimes) and even though we live across the street from Fratt Elementary, they don't have swings and that's all my daughter wants to do lately. I remembered going to the park in Sturtevant after browsing at School Days Mall one other time with my husband so I thought I'd see if they liked it. They loved it! There wasn't anyone else there until the last 25 minutes and it was a 9-year-old girl (where were her parents?) who played hide-and-seek with them.

But I did a bad thing. Milaeger's is on the way home. And one of my hardy geraniums lost its tag since I bought it last week. I needed to check and see if I could recognize it, right? I believe it is "Rozanne". However, that's not the bad thing. After talking about heucharas and seeing your photos (hey, maybe it's your fault?) I decided to look at their collection. And "Earth Angel" caught my eye, then "Mystic Angel" and then I realized that I needed to find two more because it's still "Buy 3, Get the 4th Free". I can rationalize with the best of them, can't I?

Some of them are really big with a main stalk and at least one if not more offsets. Should I still wait until spring to divide or should I do that as I plant them?

Here they are:

This is "Earth Angel" with a bit of "Mystic Angel" on the left

And a full size view of "Mystic Angel"

"Mint Frost"

And finally, "Mocha" which is blooming now.

What can I say? I'm weak. Bad Kim. No more buying!

Kimberly

• aka_margo
    16 years ago

Kimberly,
    I can guarantee no one here is going to stop you from buying more plants!!! LOL! I keep telling myself I am done buying for the year, but then I see something I just can't pass up.

I bought 'Mystic Angel' last year, and it's absolutely huge this year.

Citronella (with Palace Purple)

Monet, Green Spice, and Caramel

Crimson Curls

Marmalade and Kimono (heucherella)

Jen

• Kat SE Wisconsin z5
    16 years ago

Hmmm, all those beautiful pics. But no, I can't buy anymore. I just bought 'Midnight Rose' and have to get a spot for that one.
    Julie, my 'Sparkling Burgundy' does have more duller leaves than yours, but I guess they just don't hold the color. Hopefully the color will come back in Fall. I know my other heucheras that do get some green in the summer turn back to purplish in the cooler Fall. All of mine get watered regularly and don't look crispy at least. Maybe when 'Sparkling Burgundy' has a couple of more years to grow, it'll keep it's color better.
    Thanks to all for showing your pics. You all have some great looking plants!

Kat

• aka_margo
    16 years ago

I love 'Midnight Rose' it is definately on my list of wants!
    Jen

• luvtosharedivs
    16 years ago

Hey everybody,

I wonder how many different Heucheras there really are!
    Then add the Heucherellas, and the Tiarellas, and the list would be very long, I suspect!

Kimberly,
    I know the park you mentioned above. I've only driven by it once or twice though. I actually know the city of Racine better than Sturetvant, because we lived in Racine for 26 years before moving out to the sticks. I know the area where you live, too. You bought a nice selection of Heucheras there! I also have 'Mint Frost'. No more buying! Ya, I've heard that before! I've said it myself (to DH) and he says, "Ya, sure!" I don't know if I'd divide them yet, unless they're very large plants. Maybe give them a season in your ground before dividing.

Jen,
    You have a nice variety of H's! I especially like 'Crimson Curls', and will have to keep a look-out for that one.

Kat,
    I just planted 'Midnight Rose' this Spring, but it's still very small. I like the dark leaves splashed with rose markings.

Here's a few more:

Heuchera, 'Strawberry Candy':

H. 'Sashay':

H. 'Neptune':

Julie

Sponsored
Innovative & Creative General Contractors Servicing Franklin County