Return to the Wisconsin Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
do japanese beetles eat currants?

Posted by greenbeans 5 (My Page) on
Mon, Aug 10, 09 at 23:47

I'd like to get some currant bushes but before I do, can anyone tell me if they have problems with japanese beetles eating them?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: do japanese beetles eat currants?

• Posted by ericwi Dane County WI (My Page) on
    Tue, Aug 11, 09 at 10:19

We have both red currants and everbearing red raspberries. We also have japanese beetles. Our JB's have a strong preference for the raspberry patch. But they might go for the currant bush, if there were no raspberry leaves available. Not sure.

o

I don't have currants, but notice that in my yard the JB prefer raspberries above all else. They also like green beans a lot. As long as I have these two things growing they concentrate there and are fairly sparse on other things they are known to like such as grapes. This yer I have noticed a lot of them on yellow marigolds, but not other colors.

Probably not much help, but what I am trying to say is that to some extent you can keep them away from a plant by providing a plant they like more.

o

The good news is the Jap beetles are almost done here in Madison, I've had plenty of them. Not sure about currants, never grown them. I sprayed my ferns and grapevines with Bonide 8 again this year, that does a great job. I hate using any insectacide. but that's the only option (I never eat the grapes anyway). I had a Birch tree in the front yard literally eaten alive by the beetles, had to cut it down last year. I hand pick them and drop em in soapy water on the rasperries, beans, asparagus, marigolds and morning glories. It's a constant battle (noon & night), but very satisfing! A good attractant plant is morning glories. Beetles are easy pickins from the large flat leaves at top plus MG seed is easily saved in fall for next years plants.

o

Thanks for the posts. If anyone has seen japanese beetles munching on currants, post here!

I'm well-versed in the daily drill of knocking beetles off my hazelnuts bushes into soapy water, and don't want to add to their buffet if I can help it.

I wonder if planting an attractant plant to draw the beetles off my hazelnuts, etc ends up working like those baits that draw more into your yard... hmmm... thoughts?

o

I have currants and the JBs don't seem interested in them. However, I also have 2 cherry trees and 20+ raspberry bushes that keep them well occupied and focused elsewhere.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Wisconsin Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here