Return to the Wisconsin Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Cutting back Buddlia

Posted by janetpetiole 4 (My Page) on
Fri, Sep 22, 06 at 8:27

I recently read in a well-respected garden magazine that buddlia could be cut back in late fall or spring. Everything I've heard prior to this stated to cut back buddlia in spring.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Cutting back Buddlia

In our zone, it is preferable to wait until spring, as this helps increase hardiness. At least, that has been my experience. :)

o

I have never gotten one to come back, but I have one in a pot this year I am going to bring into the garage to see what happens.

o

I was surprise that the two I have did come back. They are one of the latest plants to show life in spring, but once they got going, they really took off. The Green Bay Botanical gardens has a huge one - I wonder what they do to protect it over winter.

I wonder why mine came back and not yours. Strange.

o

I had mine in the very backyard with a pine tree on one side and the rest all open. It may have been too cold for them. A friend of mine has one that is close to the house and is huge!

o

Try this link and ask them how they winter there Buddelia

Upnortdareh

Here is a link that might be useful: GreenBay Botanical Gardens

o

Greetings------ This is the response I got from Mark Konlock Director of Horticulture at the Green Bay Botanical Gardens. To overwinter, last year we mulched with wood chips by mounding chips 12-15" high around all of the stems . Make sure to get chips between all the stems . In the spring we uncovered and cut back to outward facing buds about 6" above the soil line . the results are visible in the Color Foliage Garden .I hope this helps----Upnortdareh

o

Thanks for calling and asking the question! :-)

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Wisconsin Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here