Return to the Wisconsin Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Dwarf red hardy azalea or other winter interest plants

Posted by turquoise 5 (My Page) on
Sun, Sep 5, 10 at 8:56

Hi everyone, I'd like to add a small azalea to our front bed. It's Northern exposure and gets morning sun, although this particular patch doesn't seem to get a lot. The area borders on our neighbor's large pine tree.

I ran across the "dwarf red hardy azalea" which claims to have bright red foliage all winter. Is that really true in Zone 5? Can you recommend another good dwarf azalea or similar plant which would add some interest in the winter?

Thanks very much!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Dwarf red hardy azalea or other winter interest plants

To preface my comment: All azaleas are rhododendrons, but not all rhododendrons are azaleas. Azaleas are a subset of rhododendrons.

Most azaleas are not evergreen in Wisconsin (or Minnesota). If the tag says zone 5 as the cold end of hardiness, my guess is that it will have nice red fall color, and then drop the leaves in December. Only an educated guess, though...

Rick

o
RE: Dwarf red hardy azalea or other winter interest plants

I live in Z5 in Wis. I have had 3 pink azaleas for 9 years. One of them is slowly dying although it did have some blooms this spring. But its leaves are all gone now. Probably will have to replace it next summer.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Wisconsin Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here