Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
pkton

Mums and Asters

pkton
16 years ago

just wondering how many of you grow them as perennials. I find them a wonderful fall addition when most everything else has finished up for the season. I see all these wonderful sales for huge mums for 5 dollars and feel bad for the plants knowing 90% won't see next season since most seem to use them as throw away fall decorations!

I do have a few that are opening up rather late this year which I think is due to the crazy spring and summer we had here in southern Wisconsin. But they are spectacular. Anyone else get a fall kick out of these beauties?

Paula

zone 5 Janesville

{{gwi:1353258}}

{{gwi:1353259}}

Comments (9)

• luvtosharedivs
    16 years ago

Excellent pics, Paula!

Yes, I grow Mums & Asters. The Asters overwinter very well, w/o any protection. But my Mums need to be covered after the ground freezes, or some of them will perish over the winter.

I'll try to shoot some photos this weekend.

Thanks for sharing!

Julie

• Bob_Zn5
    16 years ago

My luck with mums got much better when I realized they don't like wet feet during the dormant season or they get root rot. In well drained ground, they are dependable with no extra precautions here in Waukesha. Boltonias are also nice this time of year. They are similar to calico asters in appearance.

• heartsease
    16 years ago

I love asters and always make spots for them in the garden beds. Two of my favorites are October Skies and Purple Dome. With all the 'hot' colors of fall it is nice to have some lavenders and blues. The only mum that I have had any luck with in my clay is Clara Curtis.
    Linda

• aka_margo
    16 years ago

"Spicy Cheryl" Mum

Alma Potschke aster

None of the rest are mine have bloomed yet. The spicy cheryl started blooming over a month ago, and my Alma just opened this past week. I have had really good luck with both mums and asters.
    Jen

• tsugajunkie z5 SE WI ♱
    16 years ago

Aster frikartii 'Moench' or 'Monch' is one of my favorites. Starts blooming in mid-July and it's still blooming great. Not my picture, but you get the idea.

Here is a link that might be useful:

• luvtosharedivs
    16 years ago

Jen,

What lovely photos! Nice close up of the bee too.
    I also grow Alma Potschke, and it's blooming like crazy right now.

Tsj,
    I love Aster Monch too, but mine only lasted a few years before dying out completely last year.

I still need to get some pics posted, but it's been so very windy lately, not good for picture taking!

Julie

• luvtosharedivs
    16 years ago

Here's a spoon Mum, 'Golden Star'.

Julie

• tsugajunkie z5 SE WI ♱
    16 years ago

luvtosharedivs- I think this is my fourth year with Aster f. 'Moench' and it is doing fine. It does get buried in snow every winter because it's right next to my driveway. Maybe that helps protect it.

tj

• luvtosharedivs
    16 years ago

Tj,

I bet you're right about the snow cover.

My three 'Monch' Asters were originally growing near Silver Maples, and got smaller each year. I finally moved the last surviving one to a more open area in full sun, but it too died out, probably because I didn't keep it watered enough during its first transplanted year.

Julie

Sponsored