Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
cheyenne1056

Raspberries ran a muck!

Cheyenne10
9 years ago

We just bought a home which has a 16x16' fencened in garden FULL of raspberries. The fence is 8' tall & electrified as well. The entire property has gone unattened to for a few years. I am aytempting to pull out vines, weeds, & dead plants. Some of the plants are 6' tall! What is the best way to PROPERLY grow raspberries to optimize fruit out-put. There are also numerous raspberry plsnts scattered around the property.

Comments (5)

• northwoodswis4
    9 years ago

They might just be wild ones, too, which can be somewhat pesky, and often only get puny berries. You need to cut out any canes that have already produced berries and thin the rest. Definitely need some walking paths. Summer-bearing and everbearing are pruned differently, so you need to determine which kind they are. Also whether red or black raspberries. Mulch will help a lot. Search raspberries on the fruit and orchard forum for more help.
    Northwoodswis

• pondwelr
    9 years ago

I've always been afraid to attempt growing raspberries, even tho I love them, for the exact reasons mentioned by northwoodswis4. You really have to know what your doing to cultivate them properly. Good luck with yours Cheyenne
    Pondy

• elvis
    9 years ago

Hi Cheyenne 10, I am in northern WI also. I would be happy to give you some guidance with your run amuck raspies, as I have a stellar tame raspberry patch. They are extremely easy to care for.

• metasegue
    9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Hello elvis,

OK, I get the thinning and old cane removal part. I do have wild plants and wish to develop them. I've experienced years of great yields but have been unable to determine the factors involved (too much or too little rain, etc.). Could I possibly select a few "stellar" individuals for transplantation and cultivation. I have all types of light conditions as I live in forest with clearings. Moisture seems crucial....again, too much or too little? I'd appreciate any pertinent advice.

metasegue

• led_zep_rules
    9 years ago

Don't overthink this. I do pretty much nothing to my raspberries and get a lot of them. It's like composting, you can make layers, and and be sure it is the right balance of green and brown, and turn it over, and get faster compost. OR, you can pile stuff in a pile and eventually you get compost. If you have a lot of time to prune and make paths and so on, yes that will increase production and make it easier to pick. BUT, you can also just wade in (well dressed to avoid the thorns ripping you up) and pick them and that is my method. No one should avoid growing raspberries because it is complicated, because it isn't.

Sponsored