Return to the Wisconsin Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
crazy idea? waste of money?

Posted by pondwelr z5 WI (My Page) on
Wed, Sep 22, 10 at 17:21

Has anyone ever scattered seeds for perennial plants late in the year? (like now)
Today, I bought several packets of wildflowers to sow in a back yard wasteland that always ends up with cazillions of
nasty stinging nettle, which I knocked down with a weed killer. Rather than wait until Spring to sow, I thought it might be better to sow this month. I have to empty all my outdoor pots anyway, might as well spread/sprinkle that light soil over the seeds. Anyway, that was my thinking.
Too bad I was impatient and paid full price for the seeds at Steins. Still, it was a small outlay.
Have any of you ever tried fall seeding?
Should I protect any seedlings with grass clips?
Pondy

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: crazy idea? waste of money?

Pondy, I too sow seeds this time of year. Sometimes they germinate too early, but more often, not. Amaranthus and cleome are two annuals that have done well for me. My black eyed susans and cone flowers often self-seed. I just help them along, or move them to another area by fall seeding.

o

I usually sow in extremely early spring for the perennials. Right after the beds can be cleared down to the bare dirt. The cold stratification of the wet and very cold early spring really can do the trick. This works well for me with columbine, poppies (both annual and oriental), dianthus, nasturtium, echinacea and I'm sure others.

Fall would probably work as well as long as you're not going to rake out the beds, moving the seeds!

o

Many perenial assess require stratification so fall or winter sowing is best. Ideally you would have prepared the bed and removed any perennial weeds last fall, but I have also broadcast natives into the meadow with success without any type of preparation ahead of time. I think the best time to actually do the broadcasting of the seeds is during a snow storm, because then the birds don't eat them.
Catrina

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Wisconsin Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here