Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
florabundance_gw

Blueberries

florabundance
14 years ago

I've tried blueberries here in NE Wisconsin for years and can never seem to get them to grow.

Am I fighting a losing battle or what is the trick?

Thanks!

Flora; aka Jean

Comment (1)

• justaguy2
    14 years ago

Controlling the pH of the soil is critical. It isn't all that difficult, but may require some time if you haven't already had a a soil test and gotten some advice from the extension service.

Given your zone I would also recommend choosing varieties listed as cold hardy in your area and still I would mulch them for winter protection.

Lastly, you should find out about the pH and alkalinity of your water. Rain water is great to use on blueberries, but tap water may not be depending on where it comes from. In many parts of Wisconsin water comes from limestone wells in which case the alkalinity will be high. Alkalinity, when high, will raise the pH of the soil over time. The more you irrigate, the faster the pH goes up. There are tricks such as using vinegar to drive the pH of the water down and remove the alkalinity before using the water.

Anyway, blueberries are completely doable in Wisconsin, but they do require a bit more preparation and care than your average shrub in most cases because most soils in Wisconsin are not ideal for them.

Sponsored