Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
luvtosharedivs

How are you all handling the mosquitoes?

luvtosharedivs
16 years ago

Our local radio announcer mentioned that we have "Biblical proportions of mosquitoes here (Racine county), and the natural preditors can't eat them fast enough".

If I go outside to do any work, or even to water my potted plants, I douse myself w/Off. But those buggers find my eyelids, or fly inside my ears, or into my mouth, if it's open! And in this heat I sweat, of course, and that draws them to bite right through my clothes!

Not having much fun working outside lately!

How 'bout you?

Julie

Comments (11)

• aka_margo
    16 years ago

I have mosquito bites everywhere. I walk outside for 5 minutes to pick tomatoes and come back with 2 tomatoes and 10 bites.
    Jen

• kimberlyk57
    16 years ago

I have just been avoiding the outdoors except to water the really pathetic-looking potted plants. The rest of my garden is okay because of all that recent rain but a few areas, like my sidewalk strip, I had to dash out and water as quickly as possible as well.

I really feel sorry for my kids! After their baths tonight, I counted 18 bites on my youngest, David, and that was just the new ones! I didn't count the old bites that aren't all pink and itchy. I've started carrying the Cortaid in my pocket at all times! My oldest boy, Matthew had 14 new bites and some of his swell up like a goose-egg like bump. Poor kids. We can restrain ourselves a bit from scratching but they can't seem to help themselves. So by the time they get home from school they have made the bites worse, all pink and inflamed looking.

To think I used to like that it stayed damp over near the garage. I have a nice little shade garden over there and because it retains the moisture, I can grow totally different plants than I can in my sidewalk strip where it's dry shade. Now when we go to drive anywhere we have to run over there, throw open the door and quick get into the garage and into the van before the mosquitos get us because they are so thick around the damp area.

Okay, while I was writing this I heard Matthew moaning upstairs. (He does this a lot when he has to use the bathroom, it's about 10pm, but doesn't fully awaken enough to do it on his own.) While we were in the bathroom he complained his back was itchy. He has 5 or 6 new bites from since he went to bed!! We live in an old house and the screens don't fit the best. *sigh* I'm going to have to start spraying the kids with Off 24/7.

I'm beginning to wonder what temperature would be low enough to kill the mosquitos without harming the plants. Would a nice cool night of about 45 do anything? Please?

Kimberly

• pkton
    16 years ago

I feel your pain! I have considered ordering a bee suit if it wasn't too hot to wear it!! My gardens are being neglected and my daycare wards are grumpy. I am afraid if we venture into my backyard they will be carried off by those blood suckers! They are everywhere. Here's hoping that the cool weather does them in. I'm tired of scratching!
    Paula

• Kat SE Wisconsin z5
    16 years ago

They are horrible by us in Milw. county. Everyone is complaining about them. Last Monday I had to water my gardens. I was trying to water them and slap the mosquitoes on me too. I only water the ground. When I did that, swarms would come out of the plants! I've never seen that before. I had blood on me from killing them, I had mud on me also. I was trying to pull some of the weeds after I watered and my hands got muddy. Mud was on my arms and face from trying to smack them. Then they got stuck in my hair. Even just going out for a few minutes to water my potted and hanging plants was bad. I don't use any mosquito sprays. A friend from work told me that 'Off' or one of those big brands, makes a spray with herbs and it's supposed to be pretty good. I just might look for that. A good breeze helps in keeping them at bay. As for the cool temps, I don't know how low it has to get to slow those blood suckers down.
    Many years ago, my aunt told me to put an 'X' on a mosquito bite with a fingernail. I've been doing that ever since, and it does work. Once in awhile, I may have to repeat that 'X', but for whatever reason, it stops it from itching. You have to push down kind of hard, but it's worth it. Mine go away very quickly doing this. Of course if they're in an area you can reach...you'll have to get someone else to do it. But it's just so annoying to get bitten! LOL!!

Kat

• pondwelr
    16 years ago

Repel makes a nice lotion-type repellent thats great for kids, and Sting-Aid and Sting Eeze make tube-like roll on remedies for the itch. I am looking at my Sting-Aid tube right now, cuz I had to use it today on ankles and arms. Great stuff. Mostly tho, I stay indoors or stay on the concrete driveway when I must be out. Traditionally, Sept is a dry month, so no doubt we will all get relief soon.

• carriedaway
    16 years ago

Well, I've been staying in for the most part and we exhausted our supply of Off went to buy more and of course no one in town has any they actually have signs on the shelves saying when more will be in at Sentry. Found some patches at Hanleys DH tried them said they worked fine for him but he wasn't in a garden [they don't work there]
    When I did go to my garden to collect tomatoes I bundled up and acted like I was in a 2 minute shopping spree.

• bud_wi
    16 years ago

I don't remember anything like this ever. My garden has been so neglected as I am afraid to go out there. I finally had to go mow the lawn and now I look like I have chicken pox. And that was with wearing OFF!

• luvtosharedivs
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Kimberly,
    I feel sorry for your kids too! A few days ago I heard on the news that the school children in a school in the Raymond school district are allowed to bring bug repellant or lotion to school. They put it on before they go out for recess.

Paula,
    I sympathize with you and your "neglected" gardens. Mine are the same. The plants are sure healthy because of all the rain, but I can't get out there and attack the weeds like I normally do. I'm afraid I'll have a ton of weeds to attack next Spring!

Kat,
    I thought I was the only one that "carves" Xes into my skeeter bites. Yes, it works to stop the itching!

Pondy,
    Yes, traditionally Sept. is a dry month, but not this year, at least not in Racine county. As I sit typing this, the rain is coming down in a nice soft drizzle, after raining steadily for the last couple hours, giving opportunity for MORE blood suckers to hatch!

Lately some of them have been following me or DH into the house, and they sneak up on me when I'm cooking or washing dishes. I have to be careful to set down my utensils or dishrag before swatting myself!

I found a website that explained that mosquitoes function best at 80°, become lethargic at 60°, and can't function below 50°. I guess they're not killed off by cold/freezing temps, but they go into hibernation for the winter, only to emerge in the Spring and start all over again with egg laying and blood sucking. That Sucks!

Julie

• wi-northernlight
    16 years ago

How odd,

I hadn't heard of your mosquito plight. We've had hardly any bugs here, which is way odd, since my home is on a lake surrounded by 10-20 acres of bog. But since July there have been almost no misquitos, even at sunset. It doesn't feel like the North Woods, but I am thankful.

Sorry for your plight.

Bob - NLight

• lisa_neenah
    16 years ago

My Mom was up from FL for a wedding. She wanted to sit out in my garden a couple days before. I told her unless she wanted to be eaten alive... thankfully they don't seem as bad now that it's a bit cooler.

• luvtosharedivs
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Found out that mosquitoes are definately NOT lethargic at 60°! Late this afternoon, I decided to plant a few daylily clumps that came in the mail, thinking the mosquitoes would not be attacking me very much, since it was only 58°. HA! I wore long pants, a jacket, socks, and the only exposed skin was my hands, neck and face, and the skeeters had no trouble finding my ears, neck, and eyelids. So back to the garage to douse myself in Off. They didn't land on my skin, but were STILL annoying, buzzing past my eyes & ears. I wish there were more birds, dragonflies and bats around here to eat them!

Julie

Sponsored