Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
aka_margo

Where in Wisconsin???

aka_margo
17 years ago

I thought this would be interesting.....

Maybe it's been done before?

Where in Wisconsin do you live?

Kinda like roll call or Where's Waldo.

Don't need exact locations, just general area.

I am in the Appleton area.

Comments (152)

• norsmen
    16 years ago

Black River Falls

Hi I just found this site while looking for on the web for some tick control advise. You sound like my kind of people glad I found you

• andimia
    16 years ago

20 mins North of Milwaukee in a little town called Saukville.

• mcbamm
    16 years ago

In Oshkosh. Can't wait for my tomatoes to bear fruit. Tried a few differant varieties. Only have room for about 4 or 5 plants and two pepper plants.

• madisonkathy
    16 years ago

How neat to see so many Wisconsin gardeners new to the forum.
    This link hasn't been posted in awhile. Please feel free to add yourself.

Here is a link that might be useful: Wi. gardener's map

• riverminty
    16 years ago

:) Wow, I'm so surprised that there's specifically a WI gardening section- who knew! Feel sorry for other states, though (lol).

I'm a Madisonian- wasn't always, born in Northern Illinois. Moved here when I was seven. ;)

• the_filters
    16 years ago

Waterloo (home)

Finley (cabin, Wisconsin Rapids area)

• ynorich
    16 years ago

Ferryville, So. of LaCrosse. Too small to have a village idiot or drunk, we all take turns.

Trying to grow fruit trees but have an unknown pest which stings the green fruit of my plum trees and causes resin to bead up on surface. A small black spot always appears near by. Could this be a wasp which lays an egg which hatches a larva? Suggestions appreciated. rich

• cheesy_2007
    16 years ago

Wausau

• daisybelle1
    16 years ago

Hello Fellow Wisconsin Gardeners,
    I'm new to this forum. I'm in La Crosse. Any other La Crosse gardeners??

Daisybelle

• malinis
    16 years ago

Hello.
    I live in OSHKOSH, WI. what a wonderful city. WOW, we have our own forum!.

• kristlindgren
    16 years ago

I'm in Balsam Lake here. Moved from MN in 2001 and loving every minute of it.

• kimberlyk57
    16 years ago

I live on the West Side in Racine. Hi luvtoshardivs and chesnokred! I have a small fenced-in backyard located between my house and garage in which I have a few raised beds and I have also claimed the areas up against the fence. I also have gardened a small section of my sidewalk strip under a Norway maple. We (my husband and I) also have a small raised-bed vegetable garden. We train the peas, cucumbers and beans up the fence and luckily our neighbor doesn't mind some of it snaking through onto her side! My Fireworks clematis also went crazy this year and she had about 12-15 flowers on her side of the fence which she greatly appreciated.

In case anyone is interested in our area, there is an annual plant sale held in early May in the Racine Sam's Club parking lot. It is held by the Potpourri Garden Club. All of the plants are divisions or seedlings taken out of the members' gardens so are known to survive in our local conditions. The prices are excellent! Most are $1 or $2 with a few large Hostas priced the highest at $5. I'm not a member but have gone the last 2 years and have had some excellent luck with finding great, cheap plants. Some of the proceeds of the sale are used to purchase gardening books which are then donated to the Racine library. That's where I first heard of the club, almost every time I found a great book in the gardening section of the library (which is huge, by the way), there would be a faceplate in the front that said, "donated by the Potpourri Garden Club". So next spring go early to the sale (at least 1/2 hour before the sale begins because you don't want to be at the end of that line) and expect to spend a long time there looking through the selections. Don't forget to look on the ground under the tables too!

Kimberly

• luvtosharedivs
    16 years ago

Welcome, Kimberly!

Yes, I've been to the Potpourri Garden Club's sale at Sam's Club, and bought some great plants at great prices.

Hope you post often!

Julie

• kimberlyk57
    16 years ago

I'll do my best but I usually go in fits and spurts when it comes to posting on sites. I have 3 kids (7,5, and almost 4) so I never know when I'll have some free time.

Isn't that sale great?! My only problem is that I usually buy way more than I have time to plant and then I have these pathetic looking plants that sit in their containers for weeks begging me to find the time to plant them! I did plant all of the ones I bought this year but last week I traded some divisions with the mom of one of my daughter's friends and I bought some marked down perennials at Stein's so I'll be busy this week planting all of those. But when I finish that I need to go on a rescue mission. One of my husband's coworkers recently bought a house and we were talking yesterday at a BBQ and he said that the planting areas were an overgrown mess so he tried to kill most of it with Round-up but not all of it died. I was like "what, it was a bunch of weeds?" And he said, "no, Hostas, ferns, a vine - a clematis, I think." Arrgh!!! I told him to lay off the Round-up until I get a chance to come by and see if I can salvage anything. I have no idea if anything survived or where I can possibly make room for it but I have to check, don't I? This guy's single, about 27 or so, has no time or inclination to garden and just wants to get rid of everything but the grass. He said his mom offered to divide some of her plants to beautify his yard and he said no. I wonder if she knows what he did? I bet she'd be horrified.

What kind of gardens do you have? Shade or sun? Formal or casual? Do you have one favorite plant in particular that you have several varieties of or do you have a mix? I'm a beginning gardener (only about 5 years) so I kind of have a hodgepodge of gifts from other gardeners, things that catch my eye and I just plunk in somewhere, and a few "babies" that I pay special attention to (I have 4 clematis: Fireworks, Fuji-masume, Hagley Hybrid, and a struggling Montana Rubens). I have very limited space so I learn mostly by trial and error though I do read quite a bit. I just don't always remember what I've read until after I've killed a plant! *sigh* Oh, well. At least I don't usually make the same mistake twice.

Kimberly

• luvtosharedivs
    16 years ago

Kimberly,

I don't want to take up too much space here to answer your question. (This thread is already getting quite long).
    So you can view my member page where I explain a little about my gardening experiences.

We can also start new postings about any subject, any time.

I just noticed while updating my member page that I joined GW exactly one year ago today. Sure have learned a lot from everyone in these forums!

Julie

• luna_llena_feliz
    16 years ago

I am in West Allis, a suburb of Milwaukee and home of our wonderful State Fair! I am new to the forum here and unfortunately live in a small apartment with an equally small balcony. I am hoping to own my own home one day and, more importantly, have my own yard. I am lurking about to pick peoples' brains and get inspiration. I'm thrilled that Wisconsin has its own forum! I am not much of a gardener and I'm taking notes about low maintenance plants and flowers. Right now, I am more into creating garden ornaments or making craft items out of gourds. Howdy neighbors!

• aka_margo
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Welcome! What kind of garden ornaments do you make?? If you need a list of low maintenance flowers I am sure everyone here can chime in. Perhaps you can start a new thread, and I am sure you would get lots of responses. I also think it's very cool that Wisconsin has it's own forum.
    Jen

• lisa_neenah
    16 years ago

I'm in Neenah, I think it's great that there are so many people from Neenah here.

• rosepedal
    16 years ago

Used to live in paddock lake (kenosha county. i moved to Wildrose two years ago. Nice to see alot of wi gardeners.

• marcia7439
    16 years ago

Day wisconsin here, Just south of Stratford and west of Wausau
    Marcia

• mr.mader
    16 years ago

Schofield, WI.

• judenapin
    16 years ago

I live in Madison, WI.

• wisconsinellen
    16 years ago

HI! I'm new here. I live in Kronenwetter. We have just over 40 acres. I love to garden.

• cjb50
    16 years ago

I'm new to this forum and live in Oak Creek WI

• pattysplants
    16 years ago

Hello to all, I'm from Milton, about 30 miles south-east of Madison. I'm fairly new to this forum. It's a lot of fun. Every one is so great and helpful! Special Hello to fellow Miltonite, Andrewlina. Have a Great Day everyone. Patty

• mr.mader
    16 years ago

Schofield, WI. near Wausau.................

• organic_sweetgrass
    16 years ago

Mineral Point, WI :)
    Located about half way between Madison, Wisconsin and Dubuque, Iowa - approximately 45 miles from Madison.

• grb1
    16 years ago

Sheboygan, WI. (South side) I too am a new member of GW. I'm pretty new at gardening and grow only in selfwatering contaiers. I have a very small lawn so there's no room for a garden. So far I've only tried growing tomatoes but am thinking about growing beans (pole) and lettuce this year.

I'm glad to see a Wisconsin forum here.

• kimcoco
    16 years ago

Wauwatosa (northwest suburb of Milwaukee)

• nathansgrhse
    16 years ago

Hartland (about 45 mins west of Milwaukee)

• jungseed
    16 years ago

Pardeeville - I'd tell you where it is, but I find everyone in WI already knows, even though we only have about 1,500 people.

• foxglove44
    16 years ago

Hi! 'm in Dodgeville.. about 40ish miles southwest of Madison. We moved here in August. Before that we lived in Houston Tx for 1 year.. Minn. MN .. 2.5 years ... Seattle, WA ... 13.5 years ... Columbus Ohio .. hometown.
    I hope we settle here for a while! I like WI very much.. well..the snow was over the top this year!
    Betsy

• jeni3004
    15 years ago

I'm new around here! First year really getting into my yard and gardening :) I'm in N. Fond du Lac!

• rosanna8
    15 years ago

Hi, I live in Kenosha, was raised up in Kenosha, moved to Racine as an adult, lived in Racine for 20 years, then moved back to Kenosha. Love, Wisconsin

• wisconcyn
    15 years ago

Long-time Milw native now in Whitefish Bay

• macthayer
    15 years ago

I live in York Township, which is south of Madison and between New Glarus and Blanchardville. I out in the country with all of the "critters", and hubby and I just love it here. Sherrill

• sunshinemartinis
    15 years ago

Aloha!!

I'm brand new here.....just registered today! I am in the lovely "Lakeshore" region of Wisconsin...Manitowoc to be exact!

• jan_in_wisconsin
    15 years ago

Abrams - just north of Green Bay

• Rachel_WI_5
    15 years ago

Welcome Sunshinemartinis, We'll have to get together sometime. I live in Manitowoc, too, on the South side near Copps. I have plants to trade if you need anything.

• threegrowingboys
    15 years ago

Newbie in Stevens Point.

• monica33flowers
    15 years ago

Waunakee ---- the only Waunakee in the World --- LOL.

• smorz
    15 years ago

Wisconsin Rapids

*Waves to neighbor in Stevens Point*

I hope everyone is having an awesome growing season!

• waterlily_girl
    15 years ago

Hello Wisconsinites! I live on the east side of Lake Winnebago - near Stockbridge/Sherwood/Hilbert. Southwest of Green Bay and Southeast of Appleton.

Maybe we can plan a spring plant exchange for each of our areas!

• mail-lady
    15 years ago

I'm in Milton -- just north of Janesville. I'm fairly new to the forum -- but lovin every minute of it!! Mary

• birdiewi
    15 years ago

western Fond du Lac County

• rainydaze
    15 years ago

I'm in Eau Claire

• nanw_4wi
    15 years ago

Hi folks...I just found this forum today, though have been a GW member since '99.
    I'm usually on the Houseplants forum.

I live in Crawford County...originally from Grant County and still work there.

I see a few people in this thread aren't too far from me, and several in towns I have connections to.

Nice to 'meet' you all! (Ã)

• booboobearbecky
    15 years ago

My "dirtygirl playhouse" (where I garden and live) is located near Hayward, WI. I enjoy both vegetable and flower gardening and photographing the wildlife in our woods.

BooBooBearBecky

Here is a link that might be useful: View my

• eric30
    15 years ago

west De Pere

• cyjohns
    15 years ago

Small town of Lyons - between Burlington and Lake Geneva. Our organic veggie garden (about 600 sq.ft) has been very successful this year. Learned a lot from these forums. Thanks everyone.

Sponsored
Frasure Home Improvements
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Franklin County's Highly Skilled General Contractor