Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
pondwelr

Pathetic Perennials

pondwelr
16 years ago

I got a bunch of hosta and coral bells on sale a few weeks ago, and got the last of them planted about one week ago.

All are looking pretty awful. Is this normal for fall planting? I'm new to this. I have been soaking them well most mornings during this heat. Each hosta has lost at least one leaf or more. The heuchera look sort of floppy.

Anemone are wilting. Should I worry? Should I mulch now?

I planned to wait until late Nov., but will get some kind of mulch on now if you all agree.

I did not fertilize, cut back or divide. Should I worry, or not? Everything is planted right under a river birch in poor soil with top dressing added each year. There was lots of surface roots and daffy bulbs to contend with. Not a happy experience. I guess I need reassurance that this was worth all the work.

Pondy

Comments (8)

• justaguy2
    16 years ago

Wouldn't worry about it this year. Perennials transplanted, particularly late in the season (but also sometimes early in the season) look like crud the first year.

Ultimately all that matters is the second year. Either they survive winter or they do not. If they do they are either established or not.

I have several perennials that the wife bought this year that we have planted. Some were early (and have done OK, with some exceptions) others we put in during the summer and they did poorly and others recently.

It really doesn't matter as long as they come back next year and that is the true test of how well suited they are for the conditions.

• Bob_Zn5
    16 years ago

I would keep them damp & not sweat the rest. See what happens in Spring, they'll likely be fine.

• aka_margo
    16 years ago

Hosta pretty much look like crud any time to you plant them, but especially in fall. No worries, they will come up and look a lot better next year.

• luvtosharedivs
    16 years ago

Pondy,

I think there's a lot going on that we don't see - namely underground, in the root system. Hence the phrase, "The first year they sleep". So, as Bob said above, keep them damp, not soaking wet, and the roots will develop nicely.

Julie

• pondwelr
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Its pretty lame that I need reassurance at this late date in my life. Perennials have never been a priority for me, so I am quite unsure about them. Plus, of the 30 or so that I've planted, at least half have croaked.

Well, they were a bargain. If they dont make it by next Spring, then so be it.

I did buy 4 huge bags of compost/manure mix and intend to pile it around the plants, moat style for now. May hoe it up to the lower leaves after frost. If nothing else, my lovely River Birch will love all the amendments.
    Thanks all. Pondy

• kimberlyk57
    16 years ago

Pondy,

Remember, don't be too quick to dig up the ones that you say "croaked". There have been a few plants that shriveled up and disappeared on me only to reemerge in the spring and do quite well from then on. And then there have been some that after coming back started to decline again so I decided they just weren't happy in their new home and moved them. Some survived, some didn't. I have one clematis that disappeared two years in a row. It would come up, start to grow and then for no reason, die back to the ground. (I've since learned that this is called clematis wilt and there is really nothing you can do about it) I gave up on it, then forgot about it and when moving another plant, accidently dug up the root ball. I shrugged and decided to just replant it with the hosta I was moving since the roots were all together. Then I forgot about it again. That was about 2 years ago. This summer I was poking around near the black raspberry bush, digging up some seedlings, (I don't want to get scratched every time I go out the gate) and guess what I found growing over there? Yep. The clematis is alive and kicking. I've been keeping an eye on it and it never died back to the ground but it didn't grow much either. It's behind the black raspberry bush so it probably needs more sun. I'm not sure where I would put it though. I'm kind of low on sunny spots along the fence. Kind of surprised that it's still around but as I was saying, don't assume that a plant is dead just becuase the top dies down, the roots may still hold some life in them.

Kimberly

• Hosta_Haven
    16 years ago

And all hosta start to look like "crud" at this time of year anyway; they're getting ready for dormancy. Have faith and they'll surprise you next spring. Just remember, though, that some varieties of hosta may not emerge til almost June!

Char

• pondwelr
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Hey Kim, loved your story about the forgotten clematis, cuz it happened to me too. (I now have a mystery clemmie that grows a huge vine and never blooms, but thats another story)

When I talk about the plants that died on me, I am counting since I moved into this house in late 1998. In those days, my health was good, and my energy abounding. I planted so many thing. Sometimes when I read thru the forums, I am amazed to remember that I once planted that!
    Lupines planted from seeds came back, and never left. Monarda took over the two back beds to the point where I had to kill it off. Hosta grew and did well and stayed where I wanted it. (Very well-behaved) Ive now bought hosta for the front kidney-shaped bed under a river birch.
    I hope they do equally as well. Perennials and I just dont seem to agree. But I do better with bulbs. Anyway, those bulbs that are inedible, like daffs. My yard is certified as a wildlife habitat, so some critter is always eating something that I have. Chippies ate my tulips and lily bulbs, I suspect.

It's a struggle, isnt it? I suppose the slugs will be after my new hosta too. Oh well. Its a dog eat dog world. Good thing we dont take our plants too seriously.
    Pondy

Sponsored
Franklin County's Top Choice for Reliable Outdoor Construction