Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
cheryloz4

caladiums

cheryloz4
17 years ago

Do you bring in or dig up your caladiums for the winter?

If so, how do you store them?

TIA

Happy Fall Cleanup!

Comments (5)

• daddylonglegs
    17 years ago

Cheryl,

I tried elephant ear this year, so I'm new at this too.
    I was hoping someone else would chime in before I did so I could learn also.
    My plan is to do the same thing I do for cana lilly, calla lilly, which is:

Wait for a frost to wipe out the foliage, cut it back to the ground and either leave it in the ground another week or so, or dig it up and wash it off. I let them dry on a tarp in the garage for a few weeks, then put them in a dark cool place like the basement. I put them on a shelf made of plastic fencing in a basement closet so that they are open to the air. Never had a problem. When I've stored in bags or saw dust I had more problems than when I just leave them exposed to the air, in the dark.

Rich

• cheryloz4
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Thanks Rich.
    I do almost the same as you with my Cana bulbs. After I rince and dry I put em in boxes with some news papers. I forgot, I have some calla bulbs this year also I have to get out.
    So I'll probably pack the caladiums in with the cana's. I have a root cellar in the basement for storage. I guess I was wondering if there were any tips for storage.
    I can see how that plastic fencing/shelf would work.
    Cheryl

• PRO
    Catrina's Garden
    17 years ago

Hi Ya'll,
    I grow these types in large pots, after the frost hits them (actually I bring them in a few times to make them last longer) I just put the whole pot in the root cellar. Sometimes if they still look good I keep them around a little while until they start looking shabby. Then I water them monthly (while they are in storage just to keep them from drying out too much). I bring them out in April and start watering them more regularly and by the time they start to sprout it is warm enough not to put them outside, but maybe keep them on the screen porch or green house where they will get a little light and move out after danger of frost. Fertalize and/or repot in spring. I lose some each year to either rotting or drying out, but have enough survivors to make it worth the no fuss treatment.
    Catrina

• madisonkathy
    17 years ago

I'm not sure you can kill elephant ears. About 5 years ago, I bought a baseball sized one at WalMart's. In the fall, I cut it down, left it in the pot, put it in the basement, and promptly forgot about it. The next spring, I was amazed to see tall, white stalks on it. The original tuber is long gone, but it's had dozens of babies...some that I've potted, many that I've given away.

• phyl345
    17 years ago

o.k.,now don't laugh but.....are elephant ears and caladiums the same plant??

i have a caladium that i brought into the garage a couple weeks ago so....are you saying i could leave it as is and put it in the basement for the winter...just giving it a little water now and then????

thanks, phyl

Sponsored
MAC Design + Build
Average rating: 4.3 out of 5 stars18 Reviews
Loudon County Full-Service Design/Build Firm & Kitchen Remodeler