Return to the Wisconsin Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Nanking Cherries

Posted by melbeu 4a/4b WI (My Page) on
Sat, Sep 2, 06 at 22:44

I moved into a new home in December and my spring and summer has been filled with wonderful surprises in the garden, one of which is 2 huge nanking cherry bushes and here is my problem...I had maybe 5 flowers?? They are about 8-9ft tall and spread some 20 feet across together. I am not sure what to do. Are they maybe to old and no longer fruiting? Any advice would be appreciated!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Nanking Cherries

I don't really know so I looked it up. Nanking cherry can be a short lived shrub, it also needs full sun.
It very possible that a late frost halted the development of the buds. I have an amsonia that didn't flower this year. April was too warm, and if my memory is correct, there was a frost after weeks of warmish weather.

I wouldn't assume that it's age until it starts declining in obvious ways. Find out when it's best to fertilize, get a good fertilizer, and hope for a better spring next year. You could also cover it with a tarp when there is a late frost.

Look at the fourth post down in the link.

http://forums.gardenweb.com/forums/load/north/msg0211575019715.html?6

o

Hey, i've been cited! LOL Thanks, Janet!

I was just looking at this forum because i wanted to email the address to my brother-in-law from Wisconsin. Hopefully, you'll shortly see him here - he's retiring and wants to start gardening, so i'm enabling him! :)

o

Good girl! We can always use more gardeners.

o

Hi,
I just purchased some Nanking Cherrie shrubs last year so mine are still quite small. Janet may be correct about the late frost because mine had very few blossoms also. The other thing that I am wondering about with an old shrub is that maybe it needs some renewal pruning. I'm not absolutly certain if this is the correct method with the nanking cherry, but for most old shrubs it is helpful to prune out the thickest oldest branches from the middle of the shrub. Just do a few each year, this allows the new branches to develop. This is best done in the winter before the buds start to form. Like durring one of our Feb thaws.
Catrina

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Wisconsin Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here