Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dickiefickle

Good tomato from 2009

dickiefickle
14 years ago

What were some of the better Wisconsin grown tomatoes of 2009?

Comments (7)

• skeip
    14 years ago

I'm in the Madison area. No blight in my garden. For a few brief weeks I was picking a bushel a week from 24 plants. My favorite and best is called Italian Heirloom, some fruit were almost 2 pounds. The second best is Helen's German. Both available from Seed savers. Third I was most impressed with was a hybrid called Jetsonic, from Totally Tomatoes, I think. Steve

• jungseed
    14 years ago

I do my summer tomato gardening in NW Ontario. The weather was cold and wet. Same as most people here in WI are telling me now that I'm back. Of 6 plants I got one tomato. From a Celebrity (hybrid) was not great tasting, but as it was the only one....
    My cherry tomato plants produced for a little over a month. I had 4 plants. I don't remember the name of them. The fruit was not really worth remembering. Should have written it down so I pick something else next year.
    So, over all the season was not good for me.

Ruth

• donna_h
    14 years ago

I planted Rutgers, Stupice, Bloody Butcher, Marglobe and Tommy Toe (cherry). These were new varieties for me (except the Tommy Toe) and I wasn't impressed with them at all this year.

The Tommy Toe provided a good yield and good balanced taste between sweet and tart.

I'm on the search for new 'tasty' varieties and will be interested in what others have to say.

Donna H.

• cukesalad
    14 years ago

I live just south of Green Bay. I've grown Lemon Boy for several years, always with good results and a nice sweet flavor.

• tsugajunkie z5 SE WI ♱
    14 years ago

My Wis 55 was dependable as ever and my yellow cherry 'Chello' was great. 'Cherokee Purple' and 'Black Krim' had their usual great flavor, but the yield was down.

tj

• dickiefickle
    Original Author
    14 years ago

2009 was my first gardening ever. I grew Rutgers,Bonny best,and Sweet 100 cherry,all in containers all produced until blight near end of season got them .I got the tomato bug now and have over 60 varieties of seeds. Now I have two dilemmas 1)is to pick which ones to grow in about 20 containers 2) how the heck am I gonna get rid of all those fresh tomatoes ? I Want to grow some black, some paste,some Brandwine,some green ,some yellow,some pink,some cherries,some bi-colored ,oh heck I'll get some more containers -put 'em in the front yard.

• naturemitch
    14 years ago

Go dickiefickle:)

We do the same...most go to the plot(that always gets hit with late blight), and the others stay in pots at home....go and go till frost hits them. At home we can accomodate about 20-25 plants....and the cherry tomatoes are right out the back door.

What worked for us was to process, than measured amounts into freezer bags. Easy, available all winter, and delicious:)

We had a good year in the stevens point area. My consistent favorites are....black cherry, opalka(must plant enough of these, they are late and not a real heavy producer for us, but worth the space), hungarian heart(i love ox hearts for sauces....easy to peel and meaty), and prue. We always add some other colors into the mix, as well as beefsteaks...they add lots of flavor to the tomato sauces and salsas.

Trying some yellows and whites for this year....we will see:)

Could not wait till frost killed our plants....we had so much, and it seemed like it never ended:)

good luck
    m

Sponsored
Davidson Builders
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Franklin County's Full-Scale General Contractor