Return to the Wisconsin Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Did it Snow and How Much?

Posted by herb_wi Zone_3A (My Page) on
Wed, Oct 11, 06 at 10:05

9 AM Wednesday (11 Oct): 30 miles west of Hayward (NW WIS) it is snowing big wet flakes at a good clip and beginning to accumulate on trees and on the ground. How much we get is still up in the air -- literally!

This is not good as I still have lots of yard work and also much I'd like to get done on my white cedar restoration project.

Anyone else getting snow? How much and where are you?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Did it Snow and How Much?

It's 11 a.m. on Wednesday, Oct 11, and it is still snowing here-- about 35 miles east of Hayward, in Winter, WI. We are expecting more snow. The strange thing is we only had our first hard frost here yesterday. We put the garden to bed for the year and I'm starting to plan for next year.

o

We got a little dusting this morning then it rained away. Expecting more tonight here about 50 miles SW of Hayward.

o

It's 2am Thursday and it's snowing now. :(
My hubby just said to come and look at the deck. I told him I didn't want to. He said the snow is sticking on the deck. This is our 1st frost where I live in southern Milwaukee cty. I'm gonna hate to go out in the morning and see all my dead annuals.

Kat

o

It snained yesterday, then turned to light snow. Howling winds this a.m., less than 20 F. out. Everything's DEAD (sob).

It's gonna warm up for the weekend--I just know it.

Constance.

o

Yesterday's snow melted nicely altho it was COLD out there!

Last night it cleared off and the stars came out so it got even colder....

Then at dawn the clouds moved in again and it's been snowing on and off all morning altho still melting pretty much.

o

Surprisingly, no snow on the ground in the 53214 area even though it was predicted.

Annuals are all limp and slimey looking due to frost that hit. Well just the delicate things like natursiun and balsum. Marigolds still look perky.

Sowed some grass seed about ten days ago. Don't know how that is going to do now.

o

Bud, I'm in Oak Creek and it snowed very early in the morning, like around 1am and later. It stopped before 4am. There was snow on our deck, but not on the ground. Guess with all the wind, the wooden deck was really cold. Lost my basil and coleus, but other annuals and perennials remain pretty good. We've got another nite of cold temps, but not as bad as Wednesday nite. I just hope the remaining plants hang in there until it warms up a little at nite. It's 37 now, so that's 10 degrees warmer than last nite at this time.

Kat

o

Wausau area, We had about an inch of Friday am (scowl). I usually love snow, but I knew it wouldn't stay, just a dusting now, but COLD. I still have yard work to do too. Lots of it, and now I have a bunch of ugly dead stuff to show the garden clubs when they visit on Tuesday. So, what should I do, try and fix the yard or clean the house?
Catrina

o

Well, with the temps the way they are, I'd say clean the house. LOL! I'm sure there are plenty of gardeners out there who haven't had a chance to clean up their gardens either...including myself. But I still have some perennials and a few annuals that are looking good. So stay nice and warm in your home and clean that. :)

Kat

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Wisconsin Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here