Return to the Wisconsin Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Tree of Heavan (Ailanthus altissima) in Wisconsin

Posted by chinandega81 (My Page) on
Sat, Oct 22, 11 at 11:23

Well, I finally learned the name of this tree that I see so often in Chicago...and unfortunately I learned that it is very invasive.

Nonetheless, how common is it 2 hours north, into Wisconsin?

I think I have seen *ONE* in Madison (downtown) and that is it. I understand they shouldn't be planted, but how present are they in Madison and the other areas of the state?

Are the winters too severe for them, do they need Chicago's heat island effect to be truely invasive in our climate?

I would appreciate anyone telling me if they know about the distribution of this tree in the state. Thanks

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Tree of Heavan (Ailanthus altissima) in Wisconsin

Read this link

Here is a link that might be useful: Ailanthus altissima

o

Thanks, but I would appreciate any comments specific to Wisconsin and this tree.

o

I've never seen any in WI but have seen them in other states. The word invasive is an understatement in regards to this tree. It makes buckthorn look like an amateur.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Wisconsin Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here