Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
pinkgreenbean

Rosemary, Lavender, & Grapevine winter?

pinkgreenbean
13 years ago

I see there are some postings on this topic, but as this state is so varied in climate and I'm new to Madison - I'm hoping someone in Madison with lavender & rosemary experience over winter can give me opinions?

I have 3 established (in ground since spring) plants (1 rosemary, 2 lavender). The lavender bloomed recently and are perky, the rosemary has grown 8x it's original size since planting and is full. I also have a grapevine on the south side, rocky well-drained planting.

The lavender are west-facing, next to the house with partial sun. The rosemary is planted on a rock retaining wall and receives east/south full sun exposure. The lavender will receive much wind exposure in winter, while the rosemary should be sheltered from the house a good deal.

Has anyone had success with putting a plastic pot or Styrofoam cone over the plants for winter? I would rather not dig them up since they are well-rooted, but if they are certain to die - I will chance it indoors since we have a ton of southern light exposure all winter. We keep our thermostat on 70 all winter with whole house humidifier set at 60%. Not sure if it would be happy indoors anyways?

I see some of my neighbors geraniums are perennials here, as well as my mums can back from last year without any winter prep. My hydragneas and spirea also have done well without help in my yard and no pruning, etc. Help? I want to keep my plants alive without having to propogate or do anything too unnatural.

Comments (5)

Sponsored
Virginia Kitchen & Bath
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars151 Reviews
Virginia's Award Winning One Stop Kitchen & Bath Remodeling Resource