Return to the Wisconsin Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
what worked, what didn't?

Posted by pondwelr z5 WI (My Page) on
Mon, Oct 29, 12 at 16:20

This has been such a stressful year for all growing things in my city garden. I lost four hosta, one lovely blue spruce
about 13 years old, and various perennials that I planted two years ago. What few veggies I planted were eaten by deer. What watering I did was to all the trees on my lot.
Didn't worry about the lawn.
How did you all cope with the heat and drought? Any particular plants, shrubs or trees that did particularly well? Pass on the names and species, if so. I think this weather is here to stay for my lifetime, at least. Pondy

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: what worked, what didn't?

Seemed like all I did was watered my rose, trees, shrubs, etc. & it didn't help that the city redid the streets by my house so I had 6 Ivory Silk Japanese tree lilacs as street trees that I was trying to save. So far all look OK but only time will tell. Several veggies & herbs were bitter or strong flavored which I blame on the heat. The one positive thing is that I found a new Japanese beetle pesticide that looks like a significant improvement over anything else I've used on my roses so I'm excited about trying that for a full season next year.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Wisconsin Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here