Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
pondwelr

Seeing red

pondwelr
15 years ago

I'm happy for my 4 serviceberry trees all over again every fall. They turn the most luscious red, copper and orange.

Also, they are right next to my large Autumn Purple Ash tree, which is so yummy looking with red to purple shadings. There is usually a foggy mist on the pond each morning. So etheral!

Too bad the colors are so fleeting. Still, thats what makes them precious.

Who else has great color in your yard?

Pondy

Comments (9)

• janetpetiole
    15 years ago

I don't have a lot of great leaf color in my yard except for the euyonmous. The best color in my yard is a few clematis that are reblooming, which makes me both happy and sad. I will miss them over the long winter.

Unless I'm being more observant this year than previous years, the color on the trees is spectacular.

• wumpdad
    15 years ago

My American Cranberry bushes are sporting their red/orange leaves. Well, at least they were until the rain today. Will see what is left of the leaves tomorrow.

The leaves and stalks of my Blazing Star perennials have also started to share their end-of-the-year dark red color (think Brandywine Tomato), giving me another reason to pat myself on the back for deciding to include so many in the garden.

• rosepedal
    15 years ago

Gotta love the catalpa tree too. Mine is only a two feet tall but the leaves are so bright and cherry. Barb

• dilly_dally
    15 years ago

Lady in Red Hydrangea. It add a nice red color tucked in with the the green hosta in the fall.

Here is a link that might be useful: Lady in Red Hydrangea

• pondwelr
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Well Wumpdad, what is Blazing Star perennials? A lily?. or
    something else?

In previous years, I have loved the rusty color of my Siberian Iris. Now, however, the oak tree has gotten so huge, the SI is not noticeable. I simply MUST move them.

This week has been so windy, that most trees have lost their beautiful foliage.
    Now is the time to lightly cover your new plants. I made a mixture of the planting mix from all my pots, leaves that went thru the lawn mower, and pine needles fallen from my White Pine tree. No science involved. Just me using left-overs.

dilly, I just love that hydrangea. Would not survive my zone tho.

• dilly_dally
    15 years ago

Pondwelr, I'm in Z5 too! It does beautifully. I was afraid that being a new introduction it would be touchy and die on me, and that I should stick with hierloom classic hydrangea, but I'm glad I took the plunge and went with LIR.

If you read the LIR link I provided it says does well in Z6-9 AND in Z5 with winter protection.

I just left mine and let the autumn leaves form a natural mulch around it. No extra work at all.

• wumpdad
    15 years ago

pondwelr,

I pulled up a link for you on the Prairie Blazing Star.

Here is a link that might be useful: Prairie Blazing Star

• pondwelr
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Well hey, I do appreciate that link wumpdad. I've had liatris in many gardens, including this one. Somehow they never seem to last very long for me. I just never heard them called prairie blazing star. Altho, that name makes perfect sense. Also, I never noticed any particular good color from the ones that I grew. Glad for the reminder, tho. I will plant them for their lovely violet spikes and no staking needed. Pondy

• wumpdad
    15 years ago

Pondy,

I shall consider myself lucky then since my Blazing Stars bloom for more than 4 weeks in the summer and provide the interesting fall color I noted.

wumpdad