Return to the Wisconsin Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Self-seeding annuals for WI

Posted by greenthumbon1hand 4 (My Page) on
Mon, Oct 14, 13 at 21:31

Hi,
Has anyone had experience with self-seeding annuals in WI? What would you recommend, and are there any varieties that I shouldn't touch with a 10 ft. pole? I've got a lot of ground to cover (I've been gardening strictly with perennials), and I am going for a cottage garden look.

Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Self-seeding annuals for WI

Bachelor Buttons come back from seed. So do Cleome, bus less reliably, and though i originally planted pink, white and purple, only the purple comes back. Snapdragons, i find them in the cracks of my concrete, and they thrive there. Moss roses, if you let them go to seed instead of picking off the dead flowers, they will come back like crazy, but never the same color. Flax comes back. The best easiest is columbine, a perennial, that reseeds reliably. Hollyhock reseed, and for the first time, this year my red sage reseeded from last years planting of an .89 plant.

o

Thanks for the reply!
Does it matter what variety of snapdragons and sage?

o

I didn't even know there was a difference in snapdragons until i realized mine were about 3 feet tall, and my neighbors always stayed so small and perfect in her border. For awhile I had tall colorful spikes poking up in the worst places, like a bad haircut. I yanked them all one spring and replanted the Chimes series, that only grow 8 inches tall. I don't mind them in odd places now because they just tuck themselves in.
I plant salvia greggi, 'Furman's Red'. I have sages that are perennials, but this usually dies for me. I love it so much I save the seeds and scatter them. Hummingbirds love it.

o

Thanks for the update! I'll have to start browsing the seed catalogs!

o

There is Cosmos sulphureus, so much so as to be considered invasive maybe. And do not forget Morning Glories. Grandpa Ott might be invasive too.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Wisconsin Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here