Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
balsam_girl

18 Nov. Still Harvesting?

balsam_girl
16 years ago

Hi,

Just wondering if anyone is still harvesting from their garden this late in the season. Up in Zone 3 (northern Wis.) I'm still getting good quality collards and Brussels sprouts. The sprouts never "ballooned" to the size I hoped, but next year I plan to cut the tops of the plants off sooner in the season, which is supposed to do the trick.

My potato crop was small so I bought a 50lb bag of store spuds. Maybe I'll save most of my home grown Yukon golds to use as seed potatoes next spring as I am greatly expanding my spud patch.

So how did everyones garden do this year?

Comments (8)

• justaguy2
    16 years ago

I still have carrots that I am harvesting and the sage is still green. Garlic and multiplier onions doing fine as is kale. Oh, some fennel as well, but don't know what to do with that.

• Kat SE Wisconsin z5
    16 years ago

I've got carrots that are still good yet. Even though we've had a few frosts, the ground hasn't frozen yet, so the carrots are still growing.

Kat

• balsam_girl
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I would have carrots, but the drought this year stunted or killed them along with my parsnips.

I really like the collards because they can take frosts and don't care if the ground freezes. I harvest them until they get buried in the snow.

Incidently, up here in the north the ground hasn't frozen yet either. But that will be coming soon now...

• tsugajunkie z5 SE WI ♱
    16 years ago

My kale is tasting mighty good right now. Nothing like it when eaten either like spinach or added to a hearty beef soup.

justaguy2- Save your dried fennel stalks to throw on the fire if you grill any kind of fish (last 5-10 minutes of cooking).

tj

• balsam_girl
    Original Author
    16 years ago

tsugajunkie,

Have you ever grown collards?

I grow them instead of kale and wonder how the two differ in taste. Years ago I did try kale (can't remember how they tasted), but the crinkled leaves caught falling pine needles so I switched over to collards. But kale might be more cold hardy and have more vitamins to them.

• tsugajunkie z5 SE WI ♱
    16 years ago

balsam_girl- I never grew collards. The variety of kale I grow is Red Russian. Not quite as crinkly as some and yet still somewhat ornamental- a nice blue/green and a hint of red. Nice enough for me to plant them in my front yard (that also keeps my dogs away from them- they love 'em). Kale, like brussel's sprouts, only gets better after being hit by frost and one or two plants actually make it through the winter and go to seed the next year. As long as the temps get above freezing during the day, they revive and keep going and I keep harvesting.

tj

• balsam_girl
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Since Brussel sprouts and collards do so good here, maybe I'll add kale to my garden next year. The red Russian kale sounds good!

• led_zep_rules
    16 years ago

I picked the remaining parsley today (it was a tad frozen) to put into a mushroom soup. Also picked several onions today before they freeze bigtime. Have been picking kale for soups, too, although it didn't seem appropriate for the cream of mushroom w/noodles. I think that is the last of my harvesting, supposed to have snow and freezing rain tomorrow.

My garden was good this year, my newest lasagna bed did fabulously well with 4-5 dozen tomato plants and a few excellent eggplants.

Marcia

Sponsored