Return to the Wisconsin Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Is your garden all cleaned up?

Posted by jungseed z4b & z2b (ruth@jungseed.com) on
Mon, Nov 1, 10 at 12:36

Or are you like me and wait because the weather is still nice. I just hate to pull flowers that are still blooming and throw them away when I can still look at them for a few more days. But then I get caught trying to clean up when it's either cold out or snowing!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Is your garden all cleaned up?

I cleaned up everything last Sat. but need to haul home some wood chips to cover my roses.

o

• Posted by maj742 Z4 Green Bay WI (My Page) on
    Mon, Nov 1, 10 at 23:44

Here in Green Bay there are still masses of bright lemon yellow mums, which will bloom until Thanksgiving. The ornamental grasses are at their peak right now. Shrub roses Bonica, Iceland, and Carefree Wonder keep spitting out a few flowers. There are a few Stella daylily flowers, sweet alyssum flowers, some Blanket Flowers. Every single flower is good for the soul! Spirea bushes have glorious yellow, orange and red leaves now, as do the blueberries. My vegetable garden still has Bright Lights Swiss chard, kohlrabi, and carrots. I finally picked the last of the butternut squash today.

As flowers and vegetables finish up and are no longer beautiful or edible, I remove the litter. I am happy to keep working in my yard into December!

o

I do most of my clean up in the spring. Like jungseed, I hate to cut down flowers that are still blooming. Some, like the grasses, black eyed susans, and cone flowers are terrific for winter interest. Even with the frost this past week, I still have a few pots of annual geraniums blooming, that I need to cut down and bring in.

o

This weekend is supposed to be nice - maybe I should just get at the rest of it.

o

I picked broccoli for dinner last night!

I still have a few carrots and beets to pull, and some potatoes are still in the ground.

I did cut the tops off of the Zinnias and saved the seed for next year.

Oh, and brought the garden hoses in.

Still much to do...

o

• Posted by skeip 4b / 5a WI (My Page) on
    Fri, Nov 5, 10 at 11:39

We had a hard freeze last week, and it finally knocked down the last of the perennials and hostas. Got it mostly cleaned up but two of the Norway maples will hold their leaves until Christmas! This weekend I will mow up the last of the leaves and put them on the veg. garden, but I am still picking sugar snap peas, kale, diakon, and up until last week green beans. It has been a long season!

o

I went out and did a bit more clean up work this weekend. But didn't finish. I just need about 48 more days like today (Monday). Not for garden clean up, just because I like this weather.

Ruth

o

I'm bummed ... I love to get my veggie garden all cleaned up, weeded and amended in the fall when it is cool and dry. I had a couple beds done and in cover crops, but I broke my foot the first of November and can't navigate up to my plot on crutches. A neighbor planted my garlic and another harvested the last of my brussels sprouts, carrots and beets just yesterday. I had big plans to capture lots of leaves and get them up there and had just found a source of free well composted horse manure. I need to pile on the compost to make headway on the clay. Oh shoot ... just remembered that my strawberries haven't been mulched .... :-(

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Wisconsin Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here