Return to the Wisconsin Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Vinca - perennial - zone 4

Posted by Treebeard51 4 (My Page) on
Tue, Nov 20, 12 at 13:48

First post....

I live in Western Wisconsin, just north of the La Crosse area, which is zone 4.

I would like to plant perennial vinca's as a ground cover, but I'm concerned because I've seen contradictory information about them. The two sites I hope to use are in shade about half of the day. Any suggestions for varieties? Any other words of wisdom?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Vinca - perennial - zone 4

Vinca minor does very well in shady locations and I see a lot of it around the neighborhoods. My bank has a nice patch of it on both sides of the entryway.
I'm not sure how well it would tolerate hot sun.

o
RE: Vinca - perennial - zone 4

agree with maplebirch it does well in the shade. When you plant it, start at the most shady spot, and it will grow towards the sunny places without any help from you. Very
prolific, will overwhelm some gardens.
Pondy

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Wisconsin Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here