Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jungseed

Snow!

jungseed
12 years ago

Now that our first snow is falling, how did your garden do this year?

I had a little trouble.

Comments (6)

• wirosarian_z4b_WI
    12 years ago

One of the worst years I've ever seen for Japanese Beetles, hardly had any summer rose blooms as they ate most of the flower buds before they even started to open. Also severely attacked mamy Lindens, Flowering Crabs & Mountain Ashes through out the neighborhood. Tomato crop was good on number produced but flavor was not good, several other gardeners in my are made the same observation about their tomatoes.

• skeip
    12 years ago

Madison area - overall I was pleased, after a very slow, cold wet start, I was convinced I would have no tomatoes at all. Especially since the neighbor's Roundup drifted over and I ended up having to replant half of my tomato transplants. But the vines kicked in and I had really nice results, picking the last in mid October. Zuchinni did well this year, after not doing well at all last year. Peppers were great, and I usually have zero luck with peppers.

I'm still Picking Bok Choi, Kale, Mustard Greens and Daikon. Second planting of Green Beans finally went with the last frost, but they sure were nice beans. Garlic seemed small this year, but the flavor is good. Over all, I was pleased, but as always, I'll do a few things differently next year.

Steve

• wirosarian_z4b_WI
    12 years ago

Got a decent snow cover last night, enough to get the city snow plows out, that looks like it may last as a cold front is coming in behind it. I was able to get a nice picture of my back yard before the @#$% rabbits started gnawing on plants & leaving trails thru the snow.

• heartsease
    12 years ago

You've got nice winter interest going on, Wirosarian! The rain/temps are destroying any white mulch we have.

• maj742 (zone 4-5) north-central WI
    12 years ago

@#$%Rabbits! Actually, once the snow covers the land rabbits get pretty hungry and wait patiently in line to eat the Bromadiolone blox that are outside to control rats and mice.

• tveguy2
    12 years ago

I hear you on the Rabbits maj742, I live just outside the city limits, and have had lots of rabbits coming to eat the horses hay, and grain that they drop. Ugh. This winter, though, I've had an influx of coyotes, and boy did that make the population drop for a while. They have since moved on, and the rabbits are coming back. Since we have had only short term snow cover, they seem to be leaving my Iris alone this year. Must be able to get enough fodder else where.

Sponsored