Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
pondwelr

what is still standing/blooming?

pondwelr
16 years ago

I just cant believe that a big bunch of petunias are still blooming (altho lightly). Pelorgoniums too. White alyssum is also limping along. Russian Sage, which I cut back to the ground in August, is blooming lightly too.

A few years ago, when I still did veggies, I would be harvesting Brussel Sprouts, carrots, onions, garlic and one lone head of cabbage. (Not a fav of mine)

I expect this week will bring some frost and sleet and snow to our SE area. Still, I will be on the road to my sons home in Green Bay for the Thanksgiving Holiday. I am grateful that he is doing the cooking this year.

Hope all of you Wisconsin readers have a safe and happy Turkey Day! And all you hunters bring home a deer!

Pondy

Comments (8)

• luvtosharedivs
    16 years ago

Goodness, Pondy,

Be careful driving...I hope someone is going with you! 3-5" of snow is forecast for SE WI, depending on which way the storm moves. I just looked at the 600-mile Doppler Radar and there's a huge band of snow in western WI, just crossing through Madison, headed SE. We normally cook our Turkey on the Weber, but I think I'll have to cook it in a bag in the oven. (Webers don't like snow and wind).

To answer your question, "What is still standing/blooming?", as I took a walk to the compost pile this morning, the little yellow flowers of Corydalis Lutea were still blooming...6 straight months now! I think the snow will do them in. The recent frosty nights took the Dahlias, Wax Begonias, and Zonal Geraniums. The Coral Bell foliage still look great.

Happy Thanksgiving, everyone!

Julie

• tsugajunkie z5 SE WI ♱
    16 years ago

Aster frikartii 'Moench' is still blooming strong. Purple Wave petunia, feverfew, verbena and scabiosa still hanging in there, too.

Plenty of other things still standing.

Pondy- I hope your leaving tomorrow after the snow stops!

A happy and blessed Thanksgiving to all.

tj

• pondwelr
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Whoo, I thought the weather forecast was for clear and cold. Gotta check on that. Oh well. I have a big GMC
    SuVee, so should get thru any snow. Just so everyone else remembers that a 4 wheel drive doesnt STOP any better than any other vehicle. Jeeze, I just hate drivers who crowd me on the "I". I expect the weather will be worse here in
    West Bend, and get better as we travel up I43.

I plan to take some herbs from my garden, sage and rosemary, so my son the good cook can use them in his dressing. Cooking and eating schedule will all revolve around the Packer game of course. He is the official chiropractor to the team, so knows most of the players, and really gets into the games.

One last question for you knowledgable people out there: Can I trim some overly large round arborvitae yet this Fall? I only want to drape my Xmas light nets around them and want them to fit. I looked for oversized nets, and didnt find any. Should I look harder, or go ahead and trim a few inches of greenery off the globes? Pondy

• tsugajunkie z5 SE WI ♱
    16 years ago

I wouldn't trim now. Fresh cuts won't have time to harden off. A cut is an injury and injury triggers growth- not something a tree should try to do in late November.

tj

• luvtosharedivs
    16 years ago

Well Pondy,

Now I feel better, knowing you are traveling in a large vehicle. I have a Chevy Suburban, and feel comfortable driving in snow....but not on ice...as you say, a 4 wheel drive doesnt STOP any better than any other vehicle.

Wow, must be nice having a chiropractor son....he can take care of some of those aches and pains. I see a chiropractor every once in a while when I've lifted something too heavy, or twisted while lifting (a no-no).

Enjoy your trip!

Julie

• pondwelr
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Hey TJ and Julie, Well, as expected, the drive up to GB was pleasant, and we found the sunshine as we got further north. I had my youngest daughter with me, so we got to chat for the 1½ hour trip.

I will take your advice tj, and NOT clip those ugly big globe arborvitae. Altho, I sure wouldn't mind killing those big balls.

All the white pelorgonium planted in garden beds are still looking fresh and green, even after yesterdays snowfall and todays cold. What toughies! Also, my 'nearly wild' rose bushes are still blooming with snowfall clinging to all the branches. So beautiful. The defiant petunias that looked so perky on Wednesday, are currently buried under some wet snow.

I must confess to some kind of prejudice against asters and 'mums. Somehow, I simply cant love them enough to plant them anymore. The flowers are lovely, but the leaves are so gross, I just cant do it.

Next year I plan to put in lots of hardy annuals, like snapdragons, etc. Because unlike so many, I believe that global warming is here to stay, and isnt some 10-yr-cycle thingy. And as long as I keep driving my big new SuVee, it will continue to worsen. Annuals will continue to bloom well into Dec. as time goes on.

In a few years time, I will order a car that runs on hydrogen/oxygen/battery or whatever can propel a vehicle without gasoline. I expect most of us Garden Webbers will too.

Meantime, I will enjoy the warmth. pondy

• Kat SE Wisconsin z5
    16 years ago

Pondwelr, glad everything went well for you on your trip. We got some snow here in Milw. cty...maybe an inch, but it was wet and heavy. It's funny, cos on Tuesday I was looking at the 2 pots by my front door and the million bells were looking just beautiful! Even after we've had a few frosts and 20 degree nights. I was thinking I hated to have to pull them out to put Christmas flowers in the pots. Then we got the snow. Well, it won't be hard pulling them out now cos they are pretty well done for the season.
    The best looking plants I have now are my colored heucheras. They are still looking good with the deep color they have from the cold weather.

Kat

• luvtosharedivs
    16 years ago

Pondy,

Glad your trip went safe for you. I know what you mean about the Asters and Mums, but I still love them, and try to plant other perennials around them to hide the bare lower stems (of the asters). The nice thing about snapdragons is that they seem to reseed themselves nicely. I won't mind global warming if the winters get milder, but won't look forward to hotter summers!

Kat,
    Yes, I have many Heucheras that still look great. My ornamental grasses also look very pretty, waving in the wind. I still have to get out and cut down several Lily stalks. They don't look good standing all winter. Tomorrow I hope to clean out the rest of my potted geraniums and wax Begonias and toss them in the compost pile. Also need to dig my Dahlias and store them in our garage for the winter.

Stay warm, everyone!

Julie

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, OH