Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dickiefickle

Pine bark fines (soil conditioner)

dickiefickle
14 years ago

Where do you buy this ? what is a normal price to pay ?Is it composted also ?

Comments (13)

• kimcoco
    14 years ago

I got the Fafard brand from BFG Supply in Brookfield, maybe $12 something, yes it was composted. 2.8 cubit foot bags. They offer discounts if you buy in bulk (10 bags or more, I believe).

I've read others have found it at Walmart, called 'soil conditioner' under the brand name Greensmix. Others have had luck finding it at Shopko.

Good luck.

• dickiefickle
    Original Author
    14 years ago

thanks kimcoco anyone else ? truckload from nursery ?

• justaguy2
    14 years ago

Greensmix at WalMart no longer exists unfortunately. It was good stuff and much cheaper than BFG. BFG is currently the only place I know to get it in the proper size for container mixes.

One can always buy a bag of regular pine mulch and run it over with a mulching mower with bag on. From a pic posted in the container forum it seems to do the job well.

• dickiefickle
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I seen Lowe's at $3.99 for a bag over 2.o cu.ft.maybe 3.0
    if ya got one near you ,or might be worth a drive

• justaguy2
    14 years ago

What brand/product name? I have looked at all the hardware stores and have never seen anything in an appropriate size. Not saying they don't exist, just that it would be much easier to check out if I had a brand/product name and could call the stores to see if they carried it before I drove over.

• dickiefickle
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Just not composted

• dickiefickle
    Original Author
    14 years ago

$8 at Walmart reptile/hamster bedding 2cu ft expands to 4.0 cu ft

• dickiefickle
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Go to Lowe's site search pine bark (bingo)

• dickiefickle
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Check here

Here is a link that might be useful: Lowe's

• justaguy2
    14 years ago

Hamster bedding, at least that I have seen, isn't pine bark it's inner wood which would decompose far too quickly (and tie up N).

The products I see at Lowes from your link look interesting. I have seen the 'mini nuggets' before and they are usually too large for potting mixes, but the mulch product looks like it might be suitable. Will have to go look in the spring.

Thanks!

• dickiefickle
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Just got back from my first trip ever to a Lowe'store,picked up 2.0 cu.ft.(56 L)of Timberline Pine bark nuggets for $2.68.Seems a little large,they also have Pine mulch for $2.68.Next time I will get the mulch as its smaller sized,couldn't get it this time as the pile was snow covered and frozen. They also have flower and veggie seeds there all ready with a large selection. Prices on soils and stuff I seen were comparable to Walmart's prices,and no I don't work there.

• dickiefickle
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Another trip to Lowe's today, I bought 2 bags Timberline Pine Bark mulch $2.68 each,size looks just about right.these bags are from last year,so the bark is weather aged from rain and snow. Looks like the Garden center is starting to gear up for the season .

• dickiefickle
    Original Author
    14 years ago

just checked Home depot price is $3.77 a bag there for same bag

Sponsored